Private Buckaroo movie  » Movies  »
  • Apparently, he began as a singer, so I really learned something here, and I enjoyed him, too
  • Conversely, I was the most disappointed with Joe E
  • I love it when they perform “We're in the Army Now

• by Orrymain

Private Buckaroo is a kick to watch for the most part. Of course, you have to be into the antics of the day, which in this case is circa 1942 when the film was released. For example, if you like the harmonies of The Andrews Sisters (that’s Patty, Maxene, LaVerne), you’ll like this movie because they sing and perform all the way through it. In fact, their Don’t Sit Under the Apple

Tree is fantastic.

The performer who stunned me was actor Dick Foran who portrayed a character named Lon Prentice. Who knew he could sing? I’m used to seeing Foran as a western actor since just about everything I can think of that he was in was a 50’s western. Apparently, he began as a singer, so I really learned something here, and I enjoyed him, too. I loved his rendition of the title song from the movie.

Conversely, I was the most disappointed with Joe E. Lewis who, as Lancelot Pringle McBiff, was a let down. I didn’t laugh at anything he did and found myself groaning at the over done facial expressions.

On the plus side, Mary Wickes as Bonnie-Belle Schlopkiss was so good to watch. Early on, she tries to bribe the waiter for a table at a night club, only he sees ...

• Private Buckaroo movie
      it’s just a dollar bill so she and her date (Lewis) are given the table between two kitchen doors. However, Bonnie-Belle is not defeated, and you just have to watch to see what she does. It’s terrific.

It was a bit odd to see a teenage Donald O’Connor. He was pretty much secondary to some of his peers who seemed to have better hoofing parts. That was weird.

Part of the plot,

though this is another movie without a whole lot of story, bandleader Harry James gets drafted so his orchestra signs up, too. I love it when they perform “We’re in the Army Now.”. Harry is appointed company bugler, and that leads to a whole lot of fun as well.

The ending credits with planes in a formation that spelled out USA is a hoot.

Overall, not an Oscar picture, but a fun movie to see.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112091252300430/k2311a092/9.2.10