Road Show movie  » Movies  »
  • It was definitely unique and had me wondering, that's for sure
  • Drogo feigns insanity to avoid getting married
  • I like Hoagy's music quite a bit, and he's responsible for all the music heard within this film
  • Regardless, he's there and has to escape with one of the other inmates, who is part con man and part filmmaker, I think
  • Together, Drogo and the colonel do have some fun times, and I admit that I enjoyed some of the early stuff with Penguin

• by Orrymain

Road Show was a 1941 movie musical that starred Adolphe Menjou, who was one of the mainstays in motion pictures in this era. He was just everywhere. In this picture, he portrays Colonel Carleton Carroway.

The movie also starred Carole Landis as, get this, Penguin Moore. She actually wore sweaters with her initials on them. It was definitely unique and had me wondering, that’s for sure.

Another one of the

stars was John Hubbard, whose character was named Drogo Gaines. Drogo feigns insanity to avoid getting married. It’s a bit insane, pun intended. The ruse he does to get out of the wedding is plain ridiculous, like giving strange looks and making animal sounds.

A couple of the other stars are Charles Butterworth and Patsy Kelly.

What really got my attention, though, was that the songs were all composed by the ...

• great Hoagy Carmichael. I like Hoagy’s music quite a bit, and he’s responsible for all the music heard within this film.

Some of what happens is funny, and some just goes over the top. Drogo ends up having to break out of the asylum he’s been committed to by his fiance. Now in the first place, they aren’t married, and she doesn’t have that kind of legal right anyway, so that

lost me. Regardless, he’s there and has to escape with one of the other inmates, who is part con man and part filmmaker, I think.

Together, Drogo and the colonel do have some fun times, and I admit that I enjoyed some of the early stuff with Penguin. In the end, though, I wasn’t really satisfied. It had some good elements, but it was missing the steam to make it a success.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112091252270430/k2311a092/9.2.10