Highway Patrol: The Truckers TV Show  » TV  »
  • Now that I've seen 3/4ths of it, I feel like it was definitely overrated

• by Orrymain

This April 1958 episode of Highway Patrol called The Truckers might be a little misleading with its title. It’s not about truckers as we think of them today; in fact, it’s really not about them much at all. The real focus is a husband and wife team who are in the drug stealing business.

The third season outing had Chief of Police Dan Mathews and his men trying to find

some commonality among previous thefts of drugs from the trucks carrying them. In all cases, the drivers had reported being tired and falling asleep. Mathews was suspicious.

The one thing that has long bugged me about the investigations we see on Highway Patrol is that they are usually sketchy and vague interrogations. When the scene ends, I’m always wondering why this or that question hadn’t been asked. That ...

• happened again in this show.

It was more by happenstance that a driver finally mentioned the important detail that would help to solve the case.

Broderick Crawford is really the only star of this series, though there are four or five recurring offices, like William Boyett who appears in this show as Officer Johnson. Crawford does okay, but I’m not sure why there was such a big deal made of him and

this series. Now that I’ve seen 3/4ths of it, I feel like it was definitely overrated.

Ultimately, Mathews does a bit of undercover work, and that’s fine, but once again, his choice of when to move in and such is crazy. Perhaps that’s how it was in the late fifties, but it doesn’t sit well with me.

Ed Nelson and Celia Whitney turned in decent performances as the primary guest stars.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 102091252180430/k2311a092/9.2.10