Subterranean River National Park - Puerto Princesa Palawan Philippines  » Travel  »
St. Paul Mountain Range, Puerto Princesa, Oriental Mindoro, Philippines
  • We booked through our hotel, which is very convenient since they don’t require you to pay upfront and it can be charged in your room
  • I think it’s a fairly good deal already rather than booking everything yourself
  • It wasn’t as crowded as I thought it would be
  • White sand, clean surroundings, clean blue water and the horizon were one of the best I’ve seen so far
  • At the mouth of the cave, you can see the bottom of the river floor, the water was deep blue, like the sky and you can see interesting fishes around the canoe

• by jme

Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park Saint Paul Mountain Range

Reserve a whole day for this adventure trip. From the Palawan capital, it would take you at least 2-3 hours drive around the mountains to the beach. It costs p1,500 per person depending on the travel agency you book. We booked through our hotel, which is very convenient since they don’t require you to pay upfront and it can be charged in your room. It already includes the van ride, buffet lunch, boat ride and the entrance to the underground river. I think it’s a fairly good deal already rather than booking everything yourself.

We started with a van ride with other tourists. We were about 12 people including the tour guide. It wasn’t as crowded as I thought it would be. But I was kind of uncomfortable since our companions were both with kids and I just thought it would make our trip much slower than the others. It turned out to be okay, they were quite friendly. The tour guide made sure we get to know each other. The ride to the beach was not that nice, since the driver of our

van was such in a hurry. We made all the necessary fast turns and kept overtaking slow vehicles. It was not a very nice experience. It was a very dizzying ride and they are not taking into account the safety of their passengers. I was wide-awake the whole time, fearing that we might crash into a tree at any time.

We made a few stop over to some souvenir shops before reaching the beach. It was already noon when we got there and they were already preparing our buffet lunch. It was amazing! The beach was great! White sand, clean surroundings, clean blue water and the horizon were one of the best I’ve seen so far. There were also a lot of other groups eating their lunch along the beach shore. It was such a treat eating with the view of the relaxing beach under the sun with some slight breeze. It was such a wonderful feeling; it was actually my favorite part of trip. After lunch, we made our way to the docks and waited for a few minutes for our small boat to take us to the underground river island.

• It was a short ride, windy with a light splash of water in your face every now and then. The view was remarkable, we passed by several other islands, and the next one was just as beautiful as the next. The scene was breath taking; every angle was like in a post card. The beaches were made up with white sands, pristine waters and huge rocks.

There were numerous other small boats along the shore of the beach were we got off. Then we walked a short trail leading to the landing of the cave entrance. The walk was very peaceful and secluded. It consists of wooden floorboards surrounded by very tall trees. It was like a scene in the movies. It was like I was in another country; it made me feel lost in a good way and peaceful. We were greeted by little monkeys eating some snacks that the other tourists are giving. It was cool to look at and they are not afraid of people around them, maybe they’re already so used to it. There was a little line for the boats that would take you inside the cave.

The boat was small, canoe-like and the guide was friendly with all the foreigners. When we started our ride, it was nothing like I’ve expected it to be. At the mouth of the cave, you can see the bottom of the river floor, the water was deep blue, like the sky and you can see interesting fishes around the canoe. It was marvelous to look at and very calming. The inside of the cave was pitch black; the only light was the canoe’s flashlight. We saw lots of stalactites, stalagmites and bats. What made me interested are the rock formations that the guide was pointing out. I was in complete awe to see rocks that looked like dinosaur heads, religious figures, and more. It was eerie and astonishing; It gave me goose bumps. My favorite part of the cave was when we reached the high ceiling; it was like more than 50 feet up full of stalactites. The one thing I don’t like much about this ride was the smell of bat poop. Its tolerable but we can do without it. This trip was nothing like any other; it was such an exhausting day but very worth while.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382091251780330/k2311a092/9.2.10