Colonial Williamsburg in Williamsburg, Virginia  » Travel  »
Williamsburg, Virgnia
  • I know because I have been both when I have visited this unique place
  • I believe that you can enter without purchasing anything as I have seen people turned away from certain exhibits because they didn't have a general admission ticket
  • Some of the things that you can't see without a ticket I would consider things that should be free
  • The adult tickets cost $36 for just the basic ticket
  • I would love to take my grandchildren there so they can experience what I did as a child

• by Dawn Hawkins

Colonial Williamsburg is in Williamsburg, Virginia and it is a town of it’s own. I have been there on several occasions and plan to make a return trip when possible. It is a place that is rich in United States history where the townsfolk dress as though they were in the colonial period and there are tours galore. Children love it there and so do adults. I know because I have been both when I have visited this unique place.

There are a few things that bother me about Colonial Williamsburg. It can be unclear what is covered when you purchase a ticket to enter. I believe that you can enter without purchasing anything as I have seen people turned away from certain exhibits because they didn’t have a general admission

ticket. Some of the things that you can’t see without a ticket I would consider things that should be free. One such exhibit is the blacksmith who is working. If you don’t have a ticket, you don’t get to watch. The tickets can be extremely steep in price if you have a family group going to visit. The adult tickets cost $36 for just the basic ticket. That doesn’t include a tour of the Governor’s Palace either. If you want that, the ticket goes up to $39.10 if you purchase online or $46 if you purchase the tickets after you get there. For children, the cost is much lower. Ages 5 and under are free entrance and 6 to 17 year olds cost $18 for general admission. I find the ...

• prices far too high considering the number of tourists that visit every year.

There is a lot to see in Colonial Williamsburg though. They do tours of the different businesses, home and give live demonstrations to show how things were done in Colonial times. The tour guides and all employees are dressed in colonial period clothing which adds to the experience. Don’t forget to visit the jail to see what it was like for prisoners in those times either. It is quite interesting. You won’t run out of things to do and see in Colonial Williamsburg, that is for sure. I love going there and would love to get back there again in the near future. I love history and this place is chock full of it.

The best thing that

I can say if you go to Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia is to make sure that you bring a lot of money with you. It will cost a lot to just get in the gate and the food at the businesses aren’t cheap either. I usually try to make sure that I have eaten a good breakfast before going and try not to eat while I am there. I would much rather save my money. I would love to take my grandchildren there so they can experience what I did as a child. It does open up a new appreciation for American history to every age group. Make sure that you book a hotel room far in advance for this trip. It is very difficult to find lodging if you aren’t prepared.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382091250840530/k2311a092/9.2.10