Sony M-640V Microcassette voice recorder
  • I think that this is the common problem for all tape recorders
  • Another disadvantage for tape recorder is that I have to wait for the tape to rewind before I can listen to the recording again from the beginning

• by User

I need a voice recorder for my studies, speaking practices,and interviewing purposes. I choose this Sony voice recorder in 2002 for 245 Malaysian Ringgit. This recorder is compact, easy to use and is quite portable although it is quite heavy when put into your pocket with a microcassette inside. This voice recorder is old-fashioned already because it uses cassettes for recording but I don’t mind. The quality of recorded voice is clear to me and it is quite sensitive even at some distance away but the playback contains some noise in it. You may need to get used with the playback sound because its tone is quite different from the digitally played recordings. I think that this is the common problem for all tape recorders. This recorder is powered by 2 AA dry batteries.

This recorder only produces monophonic sound (one speaker). However, I can listen to the recordings by both ears using a headphone.

This recorder is installed with 3 LED battery level indicators so that I can approximate the time remaining before the battery is exhausted. The recorder allows you to choose fast (2.4 cm/s) and slow (1.2 cm/s) playback. When the tape runs slow, the speaker will produce an extremely heavy sound which I think that it is awful.

This recorder contains a tape counter that will help me to locate the piece of recording that I would like to listen to. However, I have to reset the counter to zero every time the recorder started to playback and the microcassette is fully winded. This is because the counter will give the wrong location if the playback continues without the reset of the counter. One special feature about this recorder is that it has VOR (Voice Operated Recording) specification. It will stop recording if the person is not speaking. This feature allows me to fully utilise ...

• all of my tape recorder space for useful conversations.

This recorder claims to be able to record up to 24 hours with a fully charged AA battery. However, I don’t think it’s true because after 3 hours of recording and 2 hours of playback the battery can be easily exhausted. There is also a DC (Direct current) 3V (Volts) port so that the recorder can function with DC adaptor connected to the wall outlet. The user manual is easy to understand and it contains all the necessary instructions to operate, maintain, and troubleshoot the recorder. The buttons are also large enough for me to press. Last time, when I was in secondary school, I used it to record the teachings of my history teacher. Then I replayed it in my home to recap what I had learnt. But now I think that this purpose is a waste of time to me.

I feel that this recorder

wastes batteries because there will be some battery power left even though it indicates that the batteries are exhausted. I tested the “exhausted” batteries with my simple wired remote control toy car and I can play it for quite a long time. After I accidentally dropped the recorder, it will not be able to playback because one of the large rollers will stop functioning. This may be due to loosening of something mechanical inside the recorder. It costs me tenths of ringgit to fix this. Another disadvantage for tape recorder is that I have to wait for the tape to rewind before I can listen to the recording again from the beginning. This is made much simpler with a digital recorder.

Generally, I’m very satisfied with this recorder although it is vulnerable to falls. Although the recordings cannot be saved digitally to my computer, I can save them in microcassette and listen to them for my research.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1631081248631231/k2311a0831/8.31.10