The Pride of Jesse Hallam movie  » Movies  »
  • In truth, I thought the film had some power to it and it definitely had something to say
  • What this leads to is an amazing scene at the hospital when they arrive and pulls out a wad of cash to pay for her care
  • Also, the ending speech to the unruly students is the best

• by Orrymain

I honestly wasn’t expecting to enjoy The Pride of Jesse Hallam, a 1981 movie that I recently had the chance to see. I just didn’t think it would appeal to me. Plus, the star was Johnny Cash (playing the title role), and usually I don’t tend to view his work as exciting.

That said, I once rode down an elevator with Cash and his wife, June, and so I feel a strange kinship

to at least give the film a chance, so I did.

In truth, I thought the film had some power to it and it definitely had something to say. Overall, it still crawled too much for me, and there was a city feeling to it that I didn’t enjoy. However, the message of triumph and the power of the human will is what gets this movie into the zone.

The opening sequence really gives ...

• you a feel for what Jesse is giving up. Essentially, he’s selling his farm to move to the city because his daughter has spina bifida and needs treatment. What this leads to is an amazing scene at the hospital when they arrive and pulls out a wad of cash to pay for her care.

There are some songs sung by Cash in the movie, which to me are just okay. I didn’t really

think any of them were that great.

The pride mentioned in the title finally gets shoved aside, but it’s a long way coming. The big surprise at the end is truly a surprise. I love the way it’s revealed. Also, the ending speech to the unruly students is the best. Cash was commanding but quietly so. It worked in that moment.

So overall, it was a movie with something to say.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1128081248060831/k2311a0828/8.28.10