The Borrowers movie  » Movies  »
1.5
  • The performer I was the most impressed with was Dame Judith Anderson who played Aunt Sophy
  • I guess I prefer little people to be leprechauns or something, because I didn't get the magic of The Borrowers
  • I think the only part that I was curious about was watching the ways that the little people did get around, climbing the stairs and such, but other than that, this was a washout for me

• by Orrymain

The Borrowers was a 1973 presentation from the Hallmark Hall of Fame, but the first time I saw it was just this week. Though the movie has a wonderful cast, it just wasn’t really my style for some reason.

I realize that the special effects, so to speak, were limited by the era, but I didn’t think it was all that great. The basic idea is that a family of little people

were living below the floorboards of this old home. I guess the idea is that these wee folk have borrowers who go out and take human belongings to use, like a safety pin.

Eddie Albert starred as Pod Clock, who was a borrower. He was overexuberant and drove me a little batty listening to him. I just didn’t get it I guess.

Tammy Grimes was okay, but actually was a little disappointing as ...

• Homily Clock. I just felt she didn’t offer anything special here. Her role was way too routine and average.

The performer I was the most impressed with was Dame Judith Anderson who played Aunt Sophy. I loved her. She had personality and character. I wanted to see her and listen to her with the others. She was really the only one whose scenes I looked forward to watching.

I

guess I prefer little people to be leprechauns or something, because I didn’t get the magic of The Borrowers. The family didn’t enchant me, any more than I wanted to see that horrible character played by Beatrice Straight.

I think the only part that I was curious about was watching the ways that the little people did get around, climbing the stairs and such, but other than that, this was a washout for me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1128081248030831/k2311a0828/8.28.10