The New Adventures of Heidi movie  » Movies  »
  • It's hard for me to find a Heidi tale that I don't like
  • It's different, and some of the songs I really enjoyed

• by Orrymain

It’s hard for me to find a Heidi tale that I don’t like. Over the years, I’ve seen a lot of them and most of them have their own unique quality that makes it work. That’s the case with The New Adventures of Heidi from 1978. It’s far from my favorite version of Heidi, but it does entertain.

In actuality, this version is a musical affair. Several songs are sung throughout

the course of the movie by most of the main stars. It’s different, and some of the songs I really enjoyed. For example, I truly like the prayer song that Heidi sang after having been told that she had to leave the Grandfather’s home. The grandfather sang this song separately, and then the two were overlapped. It was a very nice presentation.

I loved the Colorado scenery that was subbed for ...

• Switzerland, except for the blue screen shots, of course.

They also needed a song or jingle at the end of the movie. I liked the photojournalistic type of moment at the end with Heidi and the Grandfather, but the part after that went on too long and there was just too much silence to the instrumental being heard.

Burl Ives was okay as the Grandfather. The twist in this version is that he was

losing his eyesight so had to give Heidi up. Later, they thought he was dead.

Playing Heidi was Katy Kurtzman, and she, too, did okay, but I almost felt like she was too old somehow. She had that look, though.

The most surprising to me was John Gavin. I had no clue he could sing and he actually had a pleasant voice that I enjoyed hearing.

This version wasn’t the best; but it entertained.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1128081248020831/k2311a0828/8.28.10