Congratulations, It’s a Boy! movie  » Movies  »
  • Bixby did a fine job here, but it was interesting to me when I re-watched it recently that he looked tired to me
  • I enjoyed seeing Judy Strangis in a small role as well

• by Orrymain

Congratulations, It’s a Boy! is a movie I recall seeing back when it was released originally in 1971. It starred Bill Bixby as playboy businessman, Johnny Gaines. Bixby did a fine job here, but it was interesting to me when I re-watched it recently that he looked tired to me. I’m not sure what to make of that, but I kept thinking it as the movie progressed.

One of the other stars was Diane Baker,

who played Johnny’s secretary, Eyde. This is a typical Baker role, the confident woman, pretty and smart. It’s not the typical ending, though. Those who anticipate a certain stereotypical ending from this movie might be surprised by it.

Jack Albertson and Ann Sothern played Johnny’s parents, and they were terrific. I especially liked the scene where they thought the news Johnny had to tell them was that he was involved in a homosexual ...

• relationship. When that is followed up later, there’s another funny scene about it. Well, it’s not really funny, but what I mean is that their approach was solid.

Darrell Larson played B.J., the ‘boy’ of the title. Of course, he’s 18 when he shows up on Dad’s doorstep.

There is a really nice scene where Johnny admits not knowing the boy’s mother that well, not remembering her, and not knowing what he would have done

had he known she was pregnant. At the same time, it’s a goof moment, because B.J. then describes his mother to Johnny, but at the beginning, Johnny saw her picture and even commented on her being pretty.

I enjoyed seeing Judy Strangis in a small role as well.

This movie was a journey for Johnny more than anyone else, and though it is all very surface, it’s intriguing because we’re watching a man child grow into a man.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1128081248010831/k2311a0828/8.28.10