Maybe I’ll Come Home in the Spring movie  » Movies  »
  • Dennie tries to help, but her parents have learned nothing from their experience with Dennie
  • Even without my preferred happy ending, I like this movie a lot

• by Orrymain

Maybe I’ll Come Home in the Spring from 1971 is another one of those movies that aired in prime time once and then became both a late afternoon and then a late night movie, popping up on the air quite often. It’s been several years since I’ve seen in until it was included in a DVD collection that I purchased.

It’s funny what you remember, but for me, it was always the last scene that stayed with me.

It’s a moment when Dennie, the teenager played by Sally Field, was vacuuming. The noise of the vacuum roars over the ending, while Dennie’s parents go about their morning routine.

The thing is, this was somewhat how the movie began, with Dennie’s father shaving and her mother preparing breakfast. It’s actually a very detached set of seconds which is why the scene is tortured.

Field did a great job here as Dennie Miller. We learn her story as ...

• the movie progresses, mostly in a distorted and fragmented group of flashbacks. The short of it is that she’d run away from home, had been totally devoted to Flack (David Carradine), and then had watched him wig out on drugs. Eventually, she shows up back at home and is now her parents darling.

Her sister, now about the age that Dennie was when she’d left, takes up the behavior that Dennie did. It’s like deja vu.

Dennie tries to help, but her parents have learned nothing from their experience with Dennie.

This is not a happy movie at all. It does have magnicient acting from Eleanor Parker, Jackie Cooper, and Lane Bradbury as the parents and sister of Field’s character. However, it’s almost a tragedy because of the message.

Drugs aren’t really the villain here; it’s mistrust and generations that can’t find a meeting point.

Even without my preferred happy ending, I like this movie a lot.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1128081247920831/k2311a0828/8.28.10