The Fabulous Dorseys movie  » Movies  »
  • What I like about The Fabulous Dorseys is the music
  • There are several performers appearing as themselves, including Paul Whiteman, who was one of the best bandleaders of the era

• by Orrymain

As a child, I remember watching The Fabulous Dorseys, a 1947 motion picture, all the time. It was constantly on late night, and as a night owl, it was something I saw quite frequently. With the advent of cable, I haven’t seen it even once.

The Fabulous Dorseys is the real life tale of the upbringing and rift among the big band leaders, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey. It starts with

them as boys, arguing over how to play their tunes even then, with a friend named Jane playing a peacemaker between them.

What I like about The Fabulous Dorseys is the music. This is a really good film for learning about the big band era and hearing some great music. There are several performers appearing as themselves, including Paul Whiteman, who was one of the best bandleaders of the era.

Along with ...

• Whiteman, there were performances by Bob Eberly and Helen O’Connell that were particularly enjoyable. Then there were the stars, Tommy Dorsey and his brother, Jimmy Dorsey. These two acted as themselves, and quite honestly, they may not be Cary Grant, but they weren’t all that bad, either.

As a child, this film did make me curious about big band music, and I remember being curious about the Dorsey brothers as a

result. The two had different styles of playing music, and it eventually caused them to split up. Their personal disagreement lasted over a decade, and just like in the movie, their reunion was because of tragedy.

Janet Blair was great as Jane, and I just loved Sara Allgood as the boys’ mother. She was awesome; my favorite, in fact. I also enjoyed Arthur Shields as Mr. Dorsey, their father.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1128081247910831/k2311a0828/8.28.10