Calendar Girl movie  » Movies  »
  • They tend to be more entertaining in my opinion, offering drama in the form of song and dance in addition to the spoken and visual story that we are presented with
  • What I like about an early musical called Calendar Girl, from back in 1947, is that it's actually a story about a variety of young artists
  • The part is played by Irene Rich, and I think she did a fabulous job
  • In truth, this relationship and neither of the characters are the main attractions, and yet, I found them to be more enchanting and interesting than the younger stars

• by Orrymain

I have always loved the genre of musical films. They tend to be more entertaining in my opinion, offering drama in the form of song and dance in addition to the spoken and visual story that we are presented with. What I like about an early musical called Calendar Girl, from back in 1947, is that it’s actually a story about a variety of young artists.

The story revolves around a boarding house in New York City

that is run by a woman named Lulu Varden. Lulu was once an aspiring artist herself, but now she runs this place, giving a safe place for artists to hang out without much worry about having to meet the rent every month.

The Lulu character is so much fun. She’s my favorite, truth be told. Some might call her indulgent or eccentric, but to me, she’s inspiring in her support of young talent. The part ...

• is played by Irene Rich, and I think she did a fabulous job.

I also love Lulu’s relationship with Matthew O’Neill, a policeman played wonderfully by Victor McLaglen. In truth, this relationship and neither of the characters are the main attractions, and yet, I found them to be more enchanting and interesting than the younger stars.

Jane Frazee danced her way around a patio of the boarding house in my favorite scene of hers. She played Patricia O’Neill,

the daughter of Matthew. She was the main star, involved in a typical soap opera relationship characterized by some big time misunderstandings.

Again, what made Calendar Girl work more for me was the comaraderie of these artists, some who were singers, dancers, painters, composers, etc. I liked the way the boarding house was arranged to allow for ’shout outs’ between rooms and such. It was something that intrigued me.

This is a B-picture for sure, but there were entertaining moments.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1128081247900831/k2311a0828/8.28.10