Hormel Italian Style Beef Roast  » Food  »
2.5
  • I bought it because it's a quick cook item from Hormel, a company I trust and from who I tend to like their products more often than not
  • Now one thing I noticed was that this product was labeled 'au jus'
  • I didn't like that, and now I know to never buy anything au jus again
  • I'd get hold of what I thought was a nice bite and then it would slide off
  • What I like about Hormel Italian Style Beef Roast is that it has no preparation for microwave

• by Orrymain

Quite honestly, I wasn’t sure what I was buying when I purchased Hormel Italian Style Beef Roast recently. I bought it because it’s a quick cook item from Hormel, a company I trust and from who I tend to like their products more often than not. Maybe it’s an age thing, but I’m experimenting a little more so decided to give it a shot.

Now one thing I noticed was that this product was labeled ‘au jus’.

I do watch a lot of cooking shows, though I don’t know why, and frankly, I didn’t know what that meant.

I do now. Au jus means that the meat or whatever is served with its own natural juices or with those juices as a dipping sauce. That explains why when I prepared Hormel Italian Style Beef Roast, there was a ton of juice in the tray. I didn’t like that, and now I know to never ...

• buy anything au jus again.

This food option was ‘herb rubbed’. I’m not sure how they do that, but the meat was good. However, it was very stringy and so tender that it just fell apart. I couldn’t get my fork to pick up a piece that would stay together. I’d get hold of what I thought was a nice bite and then it would slide off. It was a strange experience.

What I like about

Hormel Italian Style Beef Roast is that it has no preparation for microwave. It’s a matter of slipping the tray in and pressing the timer buttons. The package self vents, and I love that. Take it out, peel back the plastic, and eat. Simple.

The Italian seasonings and flavorings were fine. Had it not been au jus and had I been able to eat it without the meat falling apart, I would have liked it more.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2728081247800731/k2311a0828/8.28.10