Alex Knot-a-Quilt Activity Kit
  • The quilt kit cost about $15, and I think that is a fair price for what you get with this set
  • I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a fun activity for a child from age 5 and up

• by mariekay

I purchased this make-your-own quilt kit for my niece a couple years ago, and she had a great time putting it together. I have since purchased on to keep at my house for the daycare kids to work on when they come over. The kit comes with 48 squares in different colors. This allows your child to be able to choose what pattern they would like to construct the quilt in. The colors that come with the kit are purple, pink, yellow, green, orange, and blue. The colors are bright, and when my niece had this all put together, it matched perfectly in her room. Because of the tones, this product is best suited for girls, although little boys may enjoy putting the quilt together as well.

The squares

on the quilt feature frayed edges on all four sides of the square that can be tied together with one another until the quilt is complete. When it’s finished, the quilt measures 36″ x 48″, making it a nice size for a young child to cover up with.

Depending on the age of the child, they will probably need some guidance and help when first putting the quilt together. Each frayed piece needs to be tied to a coresponding piece on another square in order for the quilt to turn out properly and to have no pieces left over. My daycare kids have had it where they tie the wrong pieces, and this ends in a bit of frustration for the child.

The child also has to be careful how she ...

• ties each piece, otherwise the end result can be a bit messy. This is a project that takes some time and a bit of concentration, and the kids like to work on it in small blocks of time. My niece had hers put together in about 4 days. The directions say it only takes a few hours, but I don’t know of any child who would want to work on it constantly for 3 hours to get it all done in one sitting. I have found it’s better that they work on it for 20-30 minutes at a time.

This quilt is made of a fleece-type material, so it makes a light blanket when it’s complete. Even though it’s a “quilt”, it’s not filled with anything, so if you are

looking for a heavy blanket, this would not be well suited for that. But, for a fun kid’s activity that will keep them busy for a while, this kit is a good idea. The daycare kids like to work on this on rainy days when we can’t play outside. Once it’s complete, they like to try to untie each square and start again, or just rearrange the pattern.

The quilt kit cost about $15, and I think that is a fair price for what you get with this set. I have seen more expensive kits, and this one is a low price for what seems to be a quality product. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a fun activity for a child from age 5 and up.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5328081247510731/k2311a0828/8.28.10