Covergirl Smoky Shadow Blast in Silver Sky  » Cosmetics  »
  • I’ve never been impressed by some of the on-the-fly eye shadow sticks I’ve tried in the past
  • I love the duality of the product and the 2 shades you get for an affordable price
  • But I think you can also wear this at work because the silver here is softer for daytime use and not very metallic
  • I cannot recommend shadow blast as a standalone smoky shadow, perhaps you can use the shades individually

• by jhunie

I’ve never been impressed by some of the on-the-fly eye shadow sticks I’ve tried in the past. A recent road testing was a product from Maybelline which felt too solid to rub against the skin. I pursued checking out this product from Covergirl called Smoky Shadowblast. I love the duality of the product and the 2 shades you get for an affordable price. I’ve been experimenting with smoky effects and somehow, doing it is just a difficult time-consuming process. If this product was a singular eye shadow with no apparent purpose, then I probably won’t be delighted to shell out a few bucks to get it. I also saw some video tutorials of this cream eye shadow and I was intrigued how they made it look so easy.

I have the shade in Silver Sky, I initially expected the duo to be an alluring party shade, perhaps something more appropriate to wear only at night. But I think you can also wear this

at work because the silver here is softer for daytime use and not very metallic. Besides the silver shade, there’s a complimentary purple which is more pigmented. Between the 2, the silver has a more iridescent quality and its shimmers are better pronounced. The texture of this cream stick truly makes a difference. They’re both creamy and apply smoothly with less friction over the skin.

This nifty item actually works as a compact ready-to-apply eye shadow, but it looks unusual like a lipstick, with the solid eye colors on each end. The mechanics of this product is composed of 2 steps – the first one being the undertone which you dab all over the eye lids; the second step is the darker shade to provide dimension to the base color – applied over the lash line and the outer crease. For this particular shade – Silver Sky, the silver shade is clearly labeled as the first step and the purple shade takes the ...

• second step.

Following the instructions found on the packaging, I spread the blunt-tipped silver shade across the lids. I was careful not to apply heavily of the product and its smooth creamy texture seemed cooperative. I smudged it a bit to soften the pigments and don’t appear quite raw. Then as instructed, I line the lashline with the purple end of the stick, which has a sharper tip for precision. I don’t want to be too abrasive in my skin so I use a fluffy brush to blend the shades instead of my fingers. The result was very nice, the 2 shades when combined well become a dichromatic ombre taupe. To finish it up, I draw an arch using the purple shadow on the crease.

I love that a smoky effect is achievable using the shades without being brutally flashy. I have no problems with the purple shadow, but the shimmery silver was harder to get even. I really suggest to use an

eye base underneath it or set everything with loose powder to maximize longevity. I still prefer the powder eye shadows because the finish seems more refined. Creamy shadows on the other hand, tend to appear sharper – pertaining to the contrast between the 2 colors, the finish is slightly dewy and the pigments clump on the crease after a short period, especially for my oily eye lids. It certainly lasts poorly.

It’s reasonably priced at 8 dollars. I have to affirm though that the performance of this shadow is quite believable, yet slightly less professional than what I had in mind. This certainly can make fast results but lasting power isn’t a guarantee. I suppose I’ll hold on to my powder shadows for now and stash this in. I cannot recommend shadow blast as a standalone smoky shadow, perhaps you can use the shades individually. But I think it probably has the best quality among cream eye shadows I’ve seen of late.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3128081246760631/k2311a0828/8.28.10