Olympus WS 510M Digital Voice Recorder 4 GB  » Electronics  »
  • I pledged to expand my limited knowledge of foreign languages because I thought it would definitely improve my interaction with European people when I needed to travel in the future
  • The problem is – it doesn’t have that feature so I’m forced to listen in my headphones with cupped ears
  • I believe this can make a good professional gadget for students and the media
  • I love that the rechargeable triple A battery it comes with is non-perishable which charges once it’s connected to the computer
  • I highly recommend this educational tool to students, media practitioners and casual foreign language learners who would like to improvise their learning/note-taking methods

• by jhunie

When I first enrolled in French lessons, a voice recorder became an indispensable tool. I pledged to expand my limited knowledge of foreign languages because I thought it would definitely improve my interaction with European people when I needed to travel in the future. I have to admit watching French films was an integral reason that pushed me to study the language. I don’t know why my school didn’t include foreign languages in the curriculum back in high school, but I do remember learning Nipongo for a certain time. Now studying French is fundamentally similar to going back in kindergarten. It’s like doing ABCs all over again. Learning how to read and properly enunciate French terms were important first steps to grasp the language. This Olympus WS 510M digital recorder is really an essential piece of technology so I can train my stiff tongue to speak like the French.

I’m used to autonomous learning and rely on resources I can find online. Before using a voice recorder, I would listen with my Sansa view which is a digital mp3 player. I can just basically employ any player capable of sound playback but it would be much helpful to have stereo speakers built in the

device. The problem is – it doesn’t have that feature so I’m forced to listen in my headphones with cupped ears. That hinders me to hear my own voice as I imitate the language. I was only hunting for a straightforward mp3 player that has stereo audio output capable of producing sound with or without headphones. I wound up buying a voice recorder instead. What’s great about this digital recorder is that it’s flash-based and can play generic mp3 files. I store all my audiobooks and recommended French readings in the device.

I finessed my pronunciation of the language using the built in speakers. The sound quality created by the speaker is pretty decent. I would play back French conjugations while mentally absorbing the pattern or the stem changes of the verbs and synchronize it in my own words so I’m able to retain the sounds in my memory naturally. This has been a proven technique in my college days when I used to record lecture notes and listen at night before sleeping. The stereo output is audible but not in a screechy extent. It’s resembles the quality produced by radio speakers but at a smaller scale.

I also do voice recordings almost ...

• at a daily basis. It’s helpful for making memos; my memory retention is not very impressive now compared to my student days. Working in media is a full time job and researching becomes a lifetime commitment. I do brief recordings before using my phone. At present, I still use this voice recorder to jot down significant notes, observations or make a concrete copy of an idea I had in mind. Ideas are very important and I cannot count how many hapless occasions I let slip the ideas off my brain. So beyond just taking notes, it allows me to capture the idea du jour.

I’ve done conference recording in this little gadget and my colleague connected this disc shape microphone to a jack which functioned as the external mic. It’s quite handy for interviews as well. It features a specific voice recording mode that automatically makes a pause when the conversation has stopped. The microphone really picks up sound fast. You can directly render the recorded files in mp3 format. I’m no expert in speech technology but the byproduct of the recording is equally crisp, although it’s normal to note very low noise interferences in the background. At times, the voice gets

a little squeaky and disrupts the natural tone. It says to contain a noise cancellation feature yet the ambient sounds coming from the tv is slightly included in the recording. I believe this can make a good professional gadget for students and the media.

The recorder has the same size as most digital music players. Physically, I don’t think it features any winning attributes. The controls look a bit clunky – reminds me of an ipod knock off made from China. The interface also looks analogue but I appreciate that it sports an lcd display. The buttons are similar to silver studs of soft keys on stereo components and are atrociously labeled like – lists, index/erase etc. The display looks like programming language to me. The recorder is flash-based with 4 gb worth of memory, it totes a usb connector which you heft through a sliding tab located in the side of the gadget. I love that the rechargeable triple A battery it comes with is non-perishable which charges once it’s connected to the computer.

It’s reasonably priced at 70 dollars. I highly recommend this educational tool to students, media practitioners and casual foreign language learners who would like to improvise their learning/note-taking methods.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1628081246730631/k2311a0828/8.28.10