Carmex Moisturising Lip Balm
  • I think this little pot is going to last me ages too
  • Carmex is a great balm and I would totally recommend it

• by jeanne71

I buy loads of different lip balms and for the first time, I tried this old-fashioned Carmex brand in a little pot. There are many kinds of lip balms, but this is a great basic one that is just brilliant at moisturizing chapped lips. Not only does it seem to be very good at hydrating and healing dry lips, leaving them smooth and soft, but it has a pleasant tingle to it when first applied which makes it a bit different to others. Now that I have looked the ingredients up in the internet, I can see why it has that fresh, tingly sensation. I think this little pot is going to last me ages too.

I spotted this on the lip balm shelf in Tesco supermarket and it is

just a little white pot with a bright yellow screw-top lid with a red and white label. The packaging looks very old-fashioned, which I kind of like, and I see that from the internet that the packaging has been the same since it was first produced in Germany in the 1930s. This little 75g pot is tiny enough that I can easily keep it in the pocket of my handbag as I must take a lip salve everywhere with me as I am totally addicted to the stuff.

Although the pot is small, I think it will last me for a while as I have been using it for a week or so and I have only made a small dent in the product. It is a hard, waxy balm that ...

• looks similar to hardened Vaseline, or to hard hair wax. You just rub your finger over the top of the balm and the heat from your fingers melts it somewhat so you can rub it over your lips easily. I put a good amount on and immediately there is a fresh and tingly sensation on my lips. It gives my lips a nice glossy feel and they look moistened and smooth. I sometimes wear this on its own or put it on over lipstick, as is my habit with lip balms, and it last really well. I probably re-apply it every few hours.

I could not put my finger on that tingly, stimulated sensation and I kept smelling it, wondering if it was mint. I do not have

a great sense of smell so I was not sure, but on looking at the ingredients on the internet (the pot says nothing about the ingredients) I see the balm contains menthol and camphor, which explains that fresh feeling. This is a petroleum jelly-based lip balm, but it is ten times better than petroleum jelly which I used for years on my lips before I started to buy proper lip balms. This is much smoother and a much nicer consistency that just using petroleum jelly and I really like that menthol sensation. By the way, it is not an overpowering scent so you will not smell like you have a cold or anything. It is quite subtle.

Carmex is a great balm and I would totally recommend it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3128081246600531/k2311a0828/8.28.10