Salt: A Film by Philip Noyce (2010)  » Movies  »
  • I thought the fight scenes were too dense
  • But I know the director seems to be presenting a different style of action movies, one that perhaps transcends emotions or the un-escapable drama aspect of every film presentable to man
  • I think the best action film I’ve seen of late was Bourne Ultimatum
  • She’s let free I believe to chase her fellow Russian spies and kill them which works for both the American government and for her own vengeful sanity
  • If you’re really a sucker for over the top action, I recommend you see this movie

• by jhunie

With all the campaigns splashed in the internet about this film, it’s hard to ignore not watching it. I went out with a bunch of friends earlier and had no choice but to see this movie. Salt tells the story of a CIA official named Evelyn Salt. As the storyline progresses, you become perplexed about the real score behind Salt’s character. It draws you to thinking she’s an insurgent Russian spy which is actually the truth but with a twist. She does her expected tenure just to save her husband. A prominent character in the film is her colleague, Winter.

I thought the fight scenes were too dense. The killing was unrelenting to the point where it’s hard to justify the unflappable main character’s hack and slash spree. But I know the director seems to be

presenting a different style of action movies, one that perhaps transcends emotions or the un-escapable drama aspect of every film presentable to man. Evelyn Salt’s husband died and it made sense that everything was propelled by her pursuit to save him. Well honestly, I was unmoved that her husband died. The story then evolves into revenge. It’s like reading an epic story, the plots may be preposterous but the protagonist survives at the end.

Salt – is a one woman act from start to finish. Angelina Jolie’s somewhat solo performance cannot be refuted; she’s definitely the best female action star to date. But I don’t think there’s enough substance in Salt’s character to reciprocate or even recreate another Lara Croft. I was numbed after watching the movie. My eyes squinted a couple of times because of ...

• the amount of action. I had to remind myself that I was watching humans instead of robots as most of the scenes were purely mechanical.

I think the best action film I’ve seen of late was Bourne Ultimatum. It’s hard not to make comparisons between the 2 films because of their analogous chase-the-spy themes. I didn’t understand the reason why Winter did not assassinate the president though. Winter turned out to be another Russian spy. It later revealed both: Salt and Winter were in the same vein. But he sensed something about Evelyn’s loyalty. At the end, they clashed and obviously it’s the woman who wins. It was apparent that she stopped a nuclear missile launch which seemed to affirm my suspicion that she’s on the good side.

The movie ends inside a helicopter. She disclosed

her account of the matter. The guy, whose name I had forgotten, yet played an important role in the film, seemed convinced of her reasons and he too owed his life to her in the first place – when Evelyn didn’t strike him – plus the fact that she stopped the launch. Okay, she was let free by the guy. She’s let free I believe to chase her fellow Russian spies and kill them which works for both the American government and for her own vengeful sanity.

With its indefinite ending, I expect there’s probably a sequel to this film. I enjoyed watching the film but with a bit of eye discomfort. If you’re really a sucker for over the top action, I recommend you see this movie. Otherwise, I don’t see the big hurry why you should watch this now.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1126081245180231/k2311a0826/8.26.10