Coraline book
  • Neil Gaiman's writing is always a new experience, and his book Coraline is no exception
  • This is a kids' novel, yes, but it's interesting enough for an adult to pick up for fun
  • The thing I like best is how Neil Gaiman can make many parts of the novel Coraline feel very creepy while still keeping the main character, Coraline, innocent and childish

• by booklover

Neil Gaiman’s writing is always a new experience, and his book Coraline is no exception. This is a kids’ novel, yes, but it’s interesting enough for an adult to pick up for fun. It’s also been made into a movie but the feel of the book is different from the feel of the movie. Or at least the focus feels different from the movie’s focus.

Neil Gaiman has written a complicated and

unique storyline and yet everything flows along and at the end, feels very tidy and neatly put together. It never feels contrived, although it does seem very strange. The entrance through the locked and mysterious door has been done before, but never quite like this. I really liked how everything was set up so that there wasn’t anything that you didn’t know about and couldn’t see.

The thing I like best is ...

• how Neil Gaiman can make many parts of the novel Coraline feel very creepy while still keeping the main character, Coraline, innocent and childish. None of the creepy parts are scary because they are graphic, more because the Other Mother is so wrong. The button eyes are really creepy and memorable.

The writing flows well. I don’t know how to explain it, but the words just sort of flow so well that

they disappear and you just have the story. It’s very smooth.

I liked the character of the cat, and how the cat didn’t have an “other”. I also thought the parallel people were kind of interesting, and how the mice tried to warn Coraline was cute and maybe a bit of foreshadowing, but mostly just adding to the mysterious feeling of the house.

The story started off nice and friendly and ends that way.

Anna says :

re : This is a kids’ novel, yes, but it’s interesting enough for an adult to pick up for fun
    I reread the book once when I was older (around 13) and I loved it more than my first time. I think the plot is a little heavy and scary for eight year olds and such.

Jolene says :

I also am a huge fan of this book. Definitely creepy, but I think most children can handle the heavy stuff if given the chance. I remember loving it because it didn’t dampen down the scary factor it didn’t provide jump-scares, but more psycological scariness. It was the low-level, perisistent wrongness of everything that made the book so terrifying.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1725081243760331/k2311a0825/8.25.10