The Post-Birthday World novel  » Books  »
  • I don't think that the book is about the decision she made so much as about betrayal
  • Of course, that's my opinion, and I think a lot of people would think it was about whether she kisses the man or not
  • I found the characters the most interesting part of the story
  • But the parts where when she went down one path, she behaved one way and down the other path, she and her spouse switched behaviours I thought was very telling

• by booklover

The Post-Birthday World is the first book I’ve read by Lionel Shriver, who also wrote We Need to Talk about Kevin. This book (the post-birthday world) is a New York Times Bestseller, and I can see why.

The writing is smooth and flows well…you can really see what the character’s dilemma is and feel that it is a valid problem.

The fact that the story splits into two stories feels a bit gimmicky but is done really well, and even helps

character development quite a bit - the character seems to sense that she has a parallel life, and this is reflected in the children’s book she works on.

I don’t think that the book is about the decision she made so much as about betrayal. Of course, that’s my opinion, and I think a lot of people would think it was about whether she kisses the man or not. Especially as that is what is written on the back of the ...

• book.

The ending works well, although I had to flip back to double check a few things because I wasn’t entirely certain what had happened to the timeline and which story was ending.

I found the characters the most interesting part of the story. For the first couple of chapters, it was a bit confusing. In one path, she just seemed smug and it was a bit annoying. But the parts where when she went down one path, she behaved one way

and down the other path, she and her spouse switched behaviours I thought was very telling. It’s like you know you’re being cheated on even if you don’t know.

It’s interesting to have what i thought was the climax of the book or the pivotal decision right at the beginning, and so perhaps the book is a bit too clever. But this idea has been done before - I remember a movie called Sideways - so people should be able to feel somewhat familiar.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1725081243750331/k2311a0825/8.25.10