Surviving the Cut: Ranger School TV Show
  • I was fascinated by the count issue at the end
  • My problem with the ending, graduation, is that the show had been big on numbers all the way through

• by Orrymain

Surviving the Cut: Ranger School is often hard to watch. This show airs on the Discovery Channel, and it’s a really deep and sometimes difficult insight into the training that men go through to become part of the elite military training force. The show opens with 338 men trying to pass the assessment phase. Thirty-nine are gone after day one, and by the end of the 20th day, the numbers are down to 141 students.

I doubt the average person really knows what these soldiers go through to become one of the toughest soldiers on the planet. Their school in this case is to be an Army Ranger. The assessment portion, the first few

days, is intended to weed out the weakest, those with fear of heights or who succumb to cold weather and such. It’s really about finding that extra something inside that makes a person persevere through that which is believed to be impossible.

After that, we see a very condensed version of these students going through 20 days of training, getting just a few hours of sleep each night and basically one meal a day.

We don’t really meet many of the men, though a few talk about not making the cut, while some of the instructors discuss the intent and what is going on.

Halfway through the fast paced show, the technical training is over and then the combat mountain ...

• phase begins. We see some mock missions going down. I was fascinated by the count issue at the end. This is something so vital, to know how many men are in a mission. In this case that we see, they don’t know their numbers, meaning they don’t know if they lost a man or not.

Then the students parachute to swampland on day 50. There are 61 total days of Ranger School. The mission here is to traverse this swampland and ultimately take out a drug lab. The scenarios are so well for today’s world.

The last mission the day before the school ended involved an extraction by the entire team in the

Gulf of Mexico.

I wish we had more contact about who the men were, but to condense 61 days to one hour isn’t easy. I’m curious if the future episodes are going to be this rushed. They probably could have done an entire show just on the Ranger School itself.

My problem with the ending, graduation, is that the show had been big on numbers all the way through. Even at the end, they said 103 had made it to the day, but they didn’t say if all those men had graduated. They did point out the results for some of the guys we’d seen. I wish it had been clearer about the success numbers.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1025081243520231/k2311a0825/8.25.10