Dark Mountain movie  » Movies  »
  • Certainly, there's nothing stellar in this less than one hour movie, but the story is entertaining, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself while watching it

• by Orrymain

1944’s Dark Mountain is a really nice B-motion picture. Certainly, there’s nothing stellar in this less than one hour movie, but the story is entertaining, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself while watching it.

Robert Lowery starred as a forest ranger named Don Bradley. I have no idea who Lowery was, but he was that stereotypical tall and handsome fellow who could easily take care of his lady fair.

The lady in this case was Kay (Ellen Drew), only before he

could get to her, she up and married Steve Downey, a mobster. Of course, she didn’t know that until after it was too late.

I really loved the camaraderie between the Bradley and Willie Dinsmire characters. Willie was Bradley’s assistant once Bradley was promoted and given control of Dark Mountain. Playing Willie is Eddie Quillan, a good character actor I remember mostly from an episode of The Twilight Zone.

There’s also a dog in this picture. His ...

• name is Luther, and he’s an adorable and smart mutt. He actually is the one who does the big rescue and take down at the end of the movie. I thought that was super. This dog single pawedly saw to it that the girl was safe and the bad guy never bothered anyone again. Great dog!

The romance is almost secondary to the Willie and Luther scenes. Okay, not quite, but close. That dog had

some great bits in this flick.

Since the length of the production was short, there are gaps. We don’t see the passage of time as well as we could have, and naturally, the depth of the characters is minimal. We know more about Bradley than we do Kay. There are goofs here and there (a car door is closed when it should have been open, etc.), but there are goofs in all films.

I like this one a lot.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1125081243430231/k2311a0825/8.25.10