Home Town Story movie
  • My favorite character, however, was Katie, Blake's little sister (and that was a gap between children, believe me)

• by Orrymain

From 1951, Home Town Story is another movie from Metro Goldwyn Mayer that gets right to the point. It has to because it’s just over an hour an length, which wasn’t uncommon for films before the sixties.

When I first put this on, I was taken aback somewhat by the music. It’s a lovely piece, but it felt odd and out of place, and that’s without having seen a single scene as yet. I forgot

about it as the movie ran, but then as soon as the end credits rolled and this instrumental music began, it again struck a bad chord with me. I’m not sure what it is, but the piece doesn’t fit the film at all. It’s really disconnected.

Home Town Story stars Jeffrey Lynn as Blake Washburn, a senator who has lost re-election and so has returned to his home town to take over the editorship of the ...

• newspaper from his father. From the start, it was easy to tell that Blake had a giant chip on his shoulder.

On the good side, we didn’t know exactly what it was right away, so there was a hint of mystery there for a little while.

My favorite character, however, was Katie, Blake’s little sister (and that was a gap between children, believe me). She’s adorable, and he brings her a little puppy that she named Rags.

I knew that somehow she and the dog were going to figure in the climax. I was right, and it was chilling there for a while.

This story does go through an evolution. I’m not totally sure I go along with the target of Blake’s crusade, but for the movie, it worked.

Alan Hale Jr. was terrific to watch in his supporting role and, okay, I’ll point out that breathy Marilyn Monroe as appeared in this movie.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1125081243390231/k2311a0825/8.25.10