New Stories from the South 2005  » Books  »
  • So when I found a series of books the featured the best writing of the South I was delighted

• by tfedge
      When I was growing up my family kept moving in a large triangle from Washington to Oklahoma to Arizona. We moved to each state twice. Since I’ve been out on my own I’ve lived in Washington except for a brief stint in purgatory, Lackland Air Force Base in Texas and almost four years in Omaha.

My gene pool is scattered through

England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Consequently, I never felt like I belonged to a particular ethnic or regional group.

I’ve always missed that. I don’t feel like I have roots that are deep down, only surface, transient roots like a recently planted sod lawn.

I’ve adopted the South as my region of choice and have been known to rant, or at ...

• least have strong opinions about the War of the Northern Aggression from the mid-1800s. So when I found a series of books the featured the best writing of the South I was delighted.

I’ve always liked literature about the South. It seems so real and firmly entwined with soil and the people who live there.

“New Stories from the South 2004

the Year’s Best” is a delight. This is the second book in the series.

I’m reading them backward starting with 2005 and am working backward. Each story reveals something about my adopted people.

Some are cute, some clever, some funny, and others sad. I loved reading all of them and am looking forward to start the 2003 edition.

I strongly urge people to give them a try.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17102124270428/k2311a021/2.1.07