K700 Digital Postage Meter; Pitney Bowes Small Office Series  » Other  »
  • I find the K700 is easy to use and does its job well, but I would not recommend it to companies that have higher volume of mail
  • The printing part isn't the problem, each print only takes a few seconds
  • What I don't like about it is it randomly calibrates itself
  • The scale is great, and the auto-updates are convenient

• by Stephanie Angeles

The K700 Digital Postage Meter is a small machine that I use at work to put postage on all our mail. The machine itself is rented from Pitney Bowes, so we pay a fee for it every month, and refill the postage amount whenever needed.. Set up is pretty standard, as the K700 is hooked up to a phone line and a power source, and has a scale that sits on the top right of the machine.

Our company sends at least a hundred pieces of mail out per month, so it is important that our postage machine works. I find the K700 is easy to use and does its job well, but I would not recommend it to companies that have higher volume of mail. The

machine is manually operated, so you have to put one piece of mail on the scale, wait for the machine to weigh it, then slip the mail into the small slot to get its postage printed on. Personally, I don’t bother weighing each piece then transferring it to the print slot; instead, I weigh one piece, leave it on the scale, and just keep printing on other envelops. Because it is manual, the process can get tedious and can take a long time. Usually, it takes me 10-15 minutes to get postage on all our outgoing mail. The printing part isn’t the problem, each print only takes a few seconds; it is the transfering of each envelop that takes up the most time.

A few good things about the K700 — It has a sensor in the envelop slot that detects whether or not the envelop is positioned properly. If it does not detect an envelop, it wont print (thus saving you ink). The K700 also has the ability to update itself and the postage rates, which is something we experienced when Canada Post increased their rates. The ink cartridge lasts a while: I was using ours for 5 months before the ink ran out, and that is with more than 100 pieces of mail going out each month. The scale allows you to send bigger/heavier packages without having to go to the post office, and US, International and Local postage rates can be selected in the menu. Finally, the K700 has a ...

• K700 Digital Postage Meter; Pitney Bowes Small Office Series
      security feature, requesting a password before allowing any action. I can see the password feature being particularly useful in bigger offices, where random people could walk up and use the machine for personal mail. Our office is quite small, and no one else really has access to the machine, while the password feature is good, it can also get cumbersome at times.

What I don’t like about it is it randomly calibrates itself. Sometimes I am in the middle of posting invoices, and it will decide to calibrate and check its status (which takes anywhere from 2-5 minutes). Other than that, I don’t have many other complaints about the machine. It has frozen on me a couple times, but most machines freeze anyway.

We rent the machine

for over $150.00 per quarter, and on top of that, we pre-pay the postage for it. I think it is worth what we pay. I cannot imagine having to manually put stamps on over a hundred envelops per month; I would most likely loose my mind. The scale is great, and the auto-updates are convenient. As mentioned earlier, however, I do not recommend this for offices with high volumes of mail. If you have a lot of mail, there are other Pitney Bowes postage machines that automatically take your stack of mail, roll each piece of mail through the printer, stamp it, and roll it through to the other side (I have used them in other offices and they are a dream, but not really needed for our small office).

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1223081241570931/k2311a0823/8.23.10