Love Affair movie  » Movies  »
  • In what is a smart and wise move, they agree to part and then meet again in six months should they want to be together
  • I applaud that, but what I don't like is the little game they played when the ship docked
  • I didn't like her tone or expressions, which I thought was odd, but that's how it felt
  • I also enjoyed Lee Bowman, who played Dunne's original and eventually dumped boyfriend
  • I know it's good, but it just didn't touch me all that much

• by Orrymain

This 1939 film called Love Affair is considered a classic romantic piece, and it’s beloved by a lot of people, but I’m not really one of them. I just have so many moralistic problems with the piece in various forms. Part of it is the lack of respect, which includes the love affair but is broader than that.

The story has

two people, one engaged and the other involved, crossing the ocean together on a ship. They become close and have an affair. In what is a smart and wise move, they agree to part and then meet again in six months should they want to be together. I applaud that, but what I don’t like is the little game they played when the ship docked. They did this really rude acknowledgement of who their significant others were, and it just turned me off.

I don’t mind that the engagement was called off and the other relationship ended. If they had affairs on the ship, they’d have them later. If you cheat once, you’ll cheat again, so it’s to the betterment ...

• Love Affair movie
      of their so-called partners that the unions end.

By the way, Love Affair, via its remake An Affair to Remember, is the catalyst for Sleepless in Seattle. It’s built up big time in that movie.

Irene Dunne is very good in her role, but something about it didn’t set well for me. I didn’t like her tone or expressions, which I thought

was odd, but that’s how it felt. On the other hand, Charles Boyer is just so swoon-ly perfect in these kinds of roles. I also enjoyed Lee Bowman, who played Dunne’s original and eventually dumped boyfriend.

For whatever reason, though, I don’t feel the magic of this story. I know it’s good, but it just didn’t touch me all that much.

Love Affair movie

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1123081241220931/k2311a0823/8.23.10