“Vineyard Terrace” by Sung Kim
  • First, I love the colors in Vineyard Terrace and how the green is dominant and pops out at you
  • I like the overhead clouds above the mountain and how it appears to be casting a shadow on the mountain
  • I think it gives the wall more texture as well as dimension and authenticity
  • I also like the detail of shadow on the bottom portion of the vineyard because at first I thought it was the soil

• by C.Channing

“Vineyard Terrace” by Sung Kim is a painting of a terrace which overlooks a wine vineyard and mountainside.

First, I love the colors in “Vineyard Terrace” and how the green is dominant and pops out at you. I like the overhead clouds above the mountain and how it appears to be casting a shadow on the mountain. I like the faint white on the mountain which gives the illusion of shadow; it could also be the result of the overhead clouds, or it could symbolize the time of day which could be morning. I like the many shades of green for the vineyard: forest green, yellow-green, dark green, and olive. I like the darkness of the ground which could be a representation of the dirt. I also like the

brownish-red of the tile on the terrace which really gives it that European decor.

Second, I like the play on shadows in “Vineyard Terrace”. I like the shadow of the mountain which could represent the time of day; I like the shadow on the rows of grapes which makes you think there is a tree towering somewhere beyond what the painter captured. I like the shadow against the wall of what could be a wine store on the vineyard. The vines dangling over the open cover creates shadows along the brick wall which makes me think of how bright the wall is painted which could be late morning because the sunlight appears to be beaming.

Third, I like how detail oriented the painting is. I like how the wooden ...

• beams of the open cover has that blended color that you recognize when purchasing wood from either Lowes or Home Depot. I like how tight the angles are and the dimension of the rectangular shape of the beams. I like the rocks of the wall on the store, and how none of the rocks are prefect ovals or squares: I think it gives the wall more texture as well as dimension and authenticity. I like how much detail there is to the setting of the table: there are two different wines on the table for tasting, three glasses adjacent to one another, a bowl of picked grapes from the vineyard in the center of the table in a wooden bowl, and a white table cloth. I like how
        crisp and clean the table cloth is. I also like the detail of shadow on the bottom portion of the vineyard because at first I thought it was the soil; however, as I looked closer at the painting, it could just be that the sun has not fully rose yet.

Overall, I liked “Vineyard Terrace” painted by Sung Kim because of the play of shadows, attention to detail, and the vibrancy of the green–and I’m not really a fan of green. I like the dimension of the shapes and objects in the painting, as well as the color. I like how defined the wine vineyard is and I love the romance the terrace gives you with the setup of the table. I thought it was a beautiful painting overall.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1823081240800831/k2311a0823/8.23.10