Sony CD Radio Cassette Recorder CFD-V177L  » Electronics  »
  • To avoid getting into trouble whenever I want to hear music in other parts of the house without necessarily staying in one place, I just use this radio cassette recorder
  • For the rest of the functions such as cassette playback, there is no problem whatsoever
  • So far, I have not done this because I want to enjoy my music without using headphones (an MP3 player would be more convenient than this)
  • Overall, this is a purchase I do not regret because it is easy to operate, has a good audio quality and definitely sturdy

• by bethbarl

This is a radio that was bought primarily to be able to play some music anywhere in the house without using the Hi-Fi. Once, I was listening to the stereo when the neighbour next door knocked (the windows were open) requesting that I lower the volume of the music because her son was studying for his exams. To avoid getting into trouble whenever I want to hear music in other parts of the house without necessarily staying in one place, I just use this radio cassette recorder. This is a good alternative to using my MP3 player as well while working around the house.

Like most of the music players I have owned in the past, this one is no different. There are more buttons than other devices that I have but they are easy to figure out. You activate the player by moving the lever up or down. The lowest setting is for the tape function and the switch

off button. The middle is for playing cassettes and the upper one is for CD playback. Volume adjustment is easily done by turning the dial on the left. I find the volume loud enough, I often put it in the middle where it does not disturb the rest of my household. I also like that I can mix the depth of the sound because there is a mega bass button (yellow one) which I can depress on and off. There is also a tone function which can be adjusted from low to high (pitch tone).

The audio quality is not bad at all – clear, clean and crisp. Like I mentioned, the tone can be adjusted so I am able to listen to music without worrying that it disturbs the others. For the radio, there is also an extendable antenna which can be put up when there are signals distortion. I only use the FM function but it ...

• can also receive MW and LW signals.

The only thing I don’t like very well about this player is that the disc flaps have to be pressed in order to play or take out a CD. There is no lock button which would prevent anyone from accidentally opening the flap while a CD is playing. I had also CD players like this in the past and this part is often the first one to get damaged. However, I had no problems until now so I guess this part of the player is sturdy and of good quality.

Another thing which I don’t like is it is nearly impossible to play CDs which I have copied from my computer. It is not CD-R or CD-RW compatible which somehow limits the CDs I can play on this device. In addition, it did not come with a remote control which is a bit inconvenient when I want to change audio sources such as switching from

the radio to the CD or tape and vice-versa.

For the rest of the functions such as cassette playback, there is no problem whatsoever. Any cassette can be played and my tapes do not get tangled. The buttons on this part of the device are straightforward: play, rewind, fast forward, record, automatic eject and a record function (built-in microphone for direct recording from the radio). I can also put a headphone in it when I need to listen without disturbing the others. So far, I have not done this because I want to enjoy my music without using headphones (an MP3 player would be more convenient than this).

Otherwise, I am satisfied with this player because the sound quality is good. In addition, it is more convenient to listen to this device because it is portable compared to my stereo component. Overall, this is a purchase I do not regret because it is easy to operate, has a good audio quality and definitely sturdy.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1623081240550831/k2311a0823/8.23.10