Hawa Mahal  » Travel  »
Near Badi Chaupad, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
  • The visit to the palace was just awesome and I feel that the palace could be enjoyed by any person of any age

• by kentvn

Hawa Mahal is one of the most unusual palaces in India. In English it means ‘Palace of Winds’. It is located to the north of the Jaipur city and about 10 miles from the international airport and nearly 4 miles from Jaipur railway station. It is very easy to get over there because Jaipur is well connected city with highways and roads all around. It has 24 hours 7 days a week taxi services and tourist’s buses, thereby getting yourself to the Hawa Mahal isn’t of any trouble.

I was lucky to visit this beautiful monument about 2 years back when I had gone to Jaipur for my vacations. Still now I have an unmarked memory of the palace because of its superb beauty and uniqueness. I feel in love with palace even before I could go in

and have a closer look of it; firstly because it was so magnificently built with red and pink sandstone, secondly, it was a stunning testimony to the Rajput and Mughal architecture and thirdly, its five-story pyramidal shaped. The front elevation with was seen mainly from the entrance. It looked like a honeycomb web of a beehive built with small portholes. Each porthole had miniature windows and had carved sandstone grills, finials and domes. It was a veritable mass of semi-octagonal bays, which gave the monument its distinctive frontage

After seeing its exterior exclusivity, I just couldn’t resist myself from going into the palace. Just a few feet away from the entrance of the palace, there were some gatekeepers and security guards, to whom I had to pay Rs. 50 as entrance fee; well that wasn’t any huge amount! But ...

• the saddest part was that the camera wasn’t allowed. A security guy took it away from me and gave me coupon, so that it could be surrendered to have my camera back once I finish touring the palace. The entry to the palace was through a imperial door. It was grand. It opened into a large courtyard which was square shaped and had double storied buildings on its three sides with the Hawa Mahal enclosed on the east side. There was an exquisite fountain placed amid the courtyard.

Around the courtyard there were need-based chambers built with pillars and corridors with least ornamentation and a plight of stairs which took me to the third floor and would continue till the top floor, and there was a ramp which was the only access to the first and second floor.

All the floors had rooms of different colored marbles, relieved by inlaid panels or gilding. The top three floors of the structure had a dimension of one room width while the first and second floors had porch in front of them. The panoramic view from the roof of the Mahal was stunning. I could see the heart of the Jaipur city in whole from the top floor of the palace.

There were 953 windows, which were made of pink sandstones. It was known as ‘Jharokhas’ and were decorated with tiny lattice work. Air circulated through these windows and kept the palace perennial cool. And this was a fine art to keep the palace cool naturally.

The visit to the palace was just awesome and I feel that the palace could be enjoyed by any person of any age.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3823081239750631/k2311a0823/8.23.10