Dusit Thani hotel, Manila  » Hotels  »
Dusit Thani Manila, Philippines, 1223 Makati City, Metro Manila
  • Breakfast at Basix was at least a pleasant and relaxing experience

• by Chona Romero

For business trips, I often stay at Dusit Thani. The location is very strategic; the hotel is within easy walking distance to financial, commercial, entertainment and shopping district. Domestic and International airport is a good 30 minute taxi ride from the hotel. MRT station is very near and taxis abound across the street.

The lobby is elegant. Designed with high ceiling, sparkling chandeliers, wide spacious area complete with big potted plants in the corner, imposing columns and curved staircase at the side gives the hotel an impression of luxury. Save for the lobby design, there was a long queue of people getting checked in or out at the reception counter which took the longest time to get done, my impression of elegance lasted

only for one second. There were a group of tourists opening their luggage and arranging their clothes right in the corner of the lobby. One foreign national was mumbling expletives because of the long line and disconcerted the people near him, including myself. It took a full 5 minutes before he was ushered away. I observe similar scene every time I stayed at the hotel. If you have an early meeting or an early flight somewhere, make sure to do your business at the reception area one hour ahead of schedule or opt for a pricier room so you can be accommodated at the business lounge or do your business at an ungodly hour so you will be accommodated immediately.

In one of my ...

• stays, I requested for an early check-in. I was told to wait for 15 minutes since most of the rooms were not yet ready. Lo and behold, the room I was assigned in was dark, old and smelled moldy. The A/C seemed to be spewing dust. If I had asthma, I would have died that night. On my other visits, the rooms were nicer. The rooms were at least an improvement compared to my previous stay. I had a complementary fruit platter which I appreciated very much. Bathroom amenities were replenished everyday. Wifi internet access is not available in the room and the broadband access is so exorbitant I was left fiddling with my phone internet access which was so slow. It was
        a big letdown considering Dusit Thani is marketed as a business hotel.

Breakfast at Basix was at least a pleasant and relaxing experience. It features a wide-array of sumptuous international cuisine and the staff were accommodating and amiable. I always look forward to having a leisurely breakfast at Basix.

Dusit will live up to its banner as a world class business hotel if it focuses on service consistency and systematic reservation process. It would also help if the hotel will disallow people from opening baggage at the lobby area and most importantly install free wifi internet access in the rooms. To a certain extent, the hotel was as expected of a standard business hotel; other than the Basix experience, there was nothing spectacular to rave about.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 223081239430631/k2311a0823/8.23.10