Smash-Up: The Story of a Woman movie
  • I also enjoyed Eddie Albert as Conway's good friend, and I even liked the little girl who played Angel

• by Orrymain

Smash-Up: The Story of a Woman was a very compelling story about a woman named Angelica Evans. She is a nightclub singer and she marries another singer, Ken Conway. As she is giving birth to their daughter, nicknamed Angel, Ken sings a romantic ballad instead of his usual cowboy jingle on his radio show. This changes his career, and he comes a sensation, rising to great stardom, complete with teenybopper fans.

Angie gets pushed into a corner, having given

up her career to raise Angel. Depression and paranoia grip her. She’s convinced her husband is having an affair with his assistant, Martha. This leads to all kinds of miscommunication and tragedy.

The acting was really good. The very beautiful and dramatic Susan Hayward starred as Angie. She was magnificent. The only time I didn’t like it was the last scene, and that’s because we only see her from behind. A little monetary investment in ...

• the makeup department would have solved that, or maybe Hayward didn’t want to look anything less than beautiful, I don’t really know, but it hurt the ending to hear a voice and not see the face.

Lee Bowman was good as Conway, but he was a little stiff in places, including that final scene. Marsha Hunt was terrific as Martha. She really did a number in this role; it was spot on. I also enjoyed Eddie Albert as Conway’s

good friend, and I even liked the little girl who played Angel. Her name was Sharyn Payne.

What surprised me later when I researched this movie a little is that Angie was based on Dixie Lee, the first wife of Bing Crosby. I can see some of that logic, knowing just a little bit about that relationship.

Regardless, the show deals with depression and alcoholism, and it does so realistically. I’m not sure about the swift ending, but the dialog is appropriate.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1120081239101131/k2311a0820/8.20.10