Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Belligerent Ghost TV Show  » TV  »
  • I love seeing Holmes come up with his deductions, and the show is so well acted that it's a joy to watch

• by Orrymain

I’m really enjoying watching a few of these very vintage episodes of Sherlock Holmes. From the early days of TV broadcasting, this series starred Ronald Howard, who fits as Holmes with a wonderful naturalness. Alongside him is Howard Marion-Crawford as Dr. Watson. Like the star, Marion-Crawford makes a delightful portrayal here. He’s actually becoming my favorite Watson of all the many second bananas to Holmes that I’ve seen.

This fifth

episode is called The Case of the Belligerent Ghost, and it has a humorous start with Watson returning to 221-B Baker Street in near hysterics, ranting about having seen a ghost. Holmes immediately gets on the case.

There is a terrific use of the camera that I rather liked about halfway through. It had Holmes, Watson, and Inspector Lestrade (Archie Duncan) looking down at the dead body, and we, the viewers, are ...

• looking up as if we are the dead body. It’s a great shot.

Later, there’s a keen shot with us as the camera, watching as Holmes is staring down with his magnifying glass. I really appreciate these different and unique point of views. They are refreshing.

I really like the interaction between Holmes and Watson. They are true friends and partners, and the humorous banter is just first rate. It’s

one of the reasons why this series works so well for me. This episode has a couple of scenes that includes the kind of interplay I’m referring to.

Watson’s ghost isn’t really a ghost, of course, but it does lead Holmes into an art crime, which is more tangent.

Overall, it’s another good story. I love seeing Holmes come up with his deductions, and the show is so well acted that it’s a joy to watch.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1020081238951131/k2311a0820/8.20.10