Sucralfate (Carafate) 1 gram tablets  » Medicine  »
  • I have tried several antiulcer drugs in the market, but recently, I decided to try a new one because my past medication was giving me these uncomfortable side effects that were hard to get rid of or just ignore
  • I bought my 120 tablets for $65 in a local pharmacy by presenting the prescription that my doctor gave me
  • I would often experience the relief start 1-2 hours after taking the drug

• by Enzo

I’ve been an ulcer patient for some time now. Having this illness is not easy. I would have to watch out for spicy foods and anything that has caffeine in it. I also need to keep a schedule of when I should eat because if I forget meal times, the symptoms would start to flare up. I have tried several antiulcer drugs in the market, but recently, I decided to try a new one because my past medication was giving me these uncomfortable side effects that were hard to get rid of or just ignore. My doctor suggested I try Sucralfate (Carafate).

Sucralfate (Carafate) is an antiulcer medication that works by adhering to the

surface of the ulcer by forming a barrier to protect it from the acids in the intestine. This is usually given for the short-term treatment and maintenance therapy of duodenal ulcer. I was prescribed with the 1 gram tablets. The tablets are oval in shape and have a brown colour to it. It has the ‘Carafate’ and ‘17 12’ imprint on each side. I bought my 120 tablets for $65 in a local pharmacy by presenting the prescription that my doctor gave me.

The enormous tablet was hard to swallow. Even though it didn’t have a bitter taste or an offensive smell, the size of the tablet made it hard for me ...

• to take. As a maintenance drug, I was told by my physician to take this four times a day. I would often experience the relief start 1-2 hours after taking the drug. The duration of the effects would last 6 hours for me, that’s probably why my doctor told me to take it 4 times a day to keep the therapeutic level up. As the time passed, I felt the drug become more and more effective in relieving the symptoms. It got better as the days passed in using this drug. I also liked the leaflet because it was detailed and provided with the most important information that I needed to know in
        taking this medication. Sometimes, I would feel very sleepy, while other times, Carafate caused this dizziness that made me nauseous. I often experienced this in the late afternoon, usually after I have taken the second tablet of the day. I have also experienced my mouth drying up occasionally. This mostly extended up to the back of my throat and was very persistent even though I have drunken an ample amount of water. Nevertheless, I still like how this drug takes effect even though it took more time than the other medications I have tried. This medicine provided with the more manageable side effects coupled with my most sought after relief. I therefore give Sucralfate (Carafate) an 8.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2619081237451231/k2311a0819/8.19.10