Tekken (2010) Film
1.0
  • Heihachi Mishima becomes the opposite of his video game counterpart (I won’t say anymore to avoid spoiling anything)
  • I just wasted an hour and a half of my life on this movie – I don’t recommend you do the same

• by Seph Co

Is the 2010 Tekken movie a proper tribute to the game it was based on? Or will it follow the footsteps of the vast majority of movies based on video games and simply… well, suck?

I gotta say, from the time I saw the trailer, I never expected this movie to have potential, and after seeing it, I could say that my trailer impression was accurate (or even optimistic). If you’re an avid fan of the game and a purist at adaptations - steer clear, as this movie will only blemish the Tekken name. This is Dead or Alive all over again. There are so many differences from the source material that it’s not even funny anymore. The movie is set on a dystopian world, where

corporations rule in the stead of governments, and the corporation behind the Iron Fist tournament is called Tekken, whose leader is Heihachi Mishima, with Kazuya as his right hand and Son. Jin Kazama (played by John Foo) is a brash teenager who makes a living running contraband and fighting for money. He lives in the slums called Anvil with his mother. After a particularly successful run, Kazuya – who is head of Tekken security, tracks down the contraband back to its source in the slums where Jin and Jun (his mother) lives, his mother dies as a victim of that raid and Jin enters the tournament to avenge her. As a guy who loves his video games, I really can’t tolerate movie adaptations that alter too
      much from the source material. Gone is the Devil Gene plot, and the individual plight of the fighters, we’re instead given a typical coming of age movie with Jin at the helm. Tekken is all about its array of fighters, but here they’re not given much depth, and they’re very much different from their video game counterparts: Christie Montero is a Ba Gua practitioner (instead of Capoeira), Marshall Law (who is supposed to be a Bruce Lee-ish looking guy) is Thai instead of Chinese and fights nothing like Bruce Lee or Law. Raven is no longer the self-contained assassin, but has become a stereotypical black fighter. Kazuya is too emo and his stereotype has been done to death. Heihachi Mishima becomes the opposite of ...

• Tekken (2010) Film
      his video game counterpart (I won’t say anymore to avoid spoiling anything). Nina and Anna are not at odds with each other, and Steve Fox is now an old trainer/sponsor to our hero (if you could call him that). Some characters are fairly accurate though, Eddie Gordo, Anna, Nina and Bryan all look almost exactly like their video game counterparts – which should be one of the rare consolations for this movie. There are other occasional nods to the game, like the stage selection (which materializes as cheap looking props on the fighting arena) as well as Jin’s final walk between a row of Tekken forces (Tekken 5 ending, anyone?).

As for the acting and writing, there’s really nothing good to be said. The exposition at the

start was narrated by John Foo with an atrocious accent; scenes here that were probably done for a heartwarming effect instead made me shudder in revulsion (from Raven’s inspirational talk to Jin to Christie’s announcement of his victory). They look tacked on and give no impact whatsoever – viewers should watch this movie only for the fighting and nothing else. Having said that, the only thing I can probably lay off on the bashing would be the fight scenes, martial arts fans will enjoy the high flying action, although at this day and age, they’re a dime a dozen – and you’re probably better off just watching the Expendables. I just wasted an hour and a half of my life on this movie – I don’t recommend you do the same.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1117081236591131/k2311a0817/8.17.10