Omeprazole (Prilosec) delayed-release tablet  » Medicine  »
  • The one I bought was the 20 mg delayed-release tablet
  • I also noticed that I became flatulent a few hours later

• by Penny

I haven’t been contented with my long-time antiulcer drug. The effects were fast, it’s just that it has been giving me this persistent headache. I have had this ulcer for some time now and the drug that I have been using was the first ever drug that I have tried. I needed to find another medication that wouldn’t cause too much side effects but would also be as effective as the one I’ve been using. So, I asked my friends if they knew something as well as a college friend of mine who was already a doctor. They were all recommending a common drug; it was Omeprazole (Prilosec).

Omeprazole (Prilosec)

is a drug classified as an antiulcer. This works by inhibiting the acid activity in the stomach to block the formation of gastric acid. Omeprazole is usually indicated for the management of reflux disease and as a short-term treatment for duodenal ulcer. This drug is available as capsules and tablets. The one I bought was the 20 mg delayed-release tablet. The drug came in a violet box with the brand name largely and visibly indicated in white printing. The tablet is also violet in colour with and is imprinted with ‘Prilosec 20’. I bought the 42-tablet box for $30 in a local drugstore. The pharmacist didn’t ask for ...

• a prescription before I could buy one.

The medicine is encapsulated by a soluble and easy-to-dissolve covering. It had a mild plastic-like scent but I was not offensive. There was no aftertaste even after letting the capsule stay in my mouth for a few seconds. The capsule was absolutely easy to swallow because of the size and shape. It quickly went down my throat slickly. Within an hour of taking the capsule, I could feel the earliest sign of relief. The sharp burning pain that radiated to my sternum, slowly but surely subsided. After 2 hours, the pain was completely gone! I did however feel that it did little to

help my bloated feeling. I also noticed that I became flatulent a few hours later. During the weeks of therapy under this medication, I sometimes felt dizzy especially in the afternoon. I would have to sit down and relax to make the lightheaded feeling go away. In the second week of taking Prilosec, I experienced a minor case of diarrhoea for two consecutive days. I liked the leaflet that came with the drug since it was concise and complete. It provided me with all the important facts and information that I needed to know. It was effective but caused several side effects that I didn’t like. I give Omeprazole (Prilosec) a 7.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2617081236431131/k2311a0817/8.17.10