Psyllium (Metamucil Effervescent) effervescent sugar-free powder
  • The one I bought was the 3.7 g/packet effervescent sugar-free powder
  • I decided to try it out first, so i bought a few packets
  • I opened a pack and noticed that the powder form was grainy

• by YnP

I hate vegetables; maybe this is the reason why I got constipated. Another reason could be my lack of physical exercise. I have tried several laxatives in the market but none seemed to work for me. I didn’t get the results that I wanted to, so I searched. Struggling to find the right laxative for me, I jumped from one medication to the other in hopes of finding the right drug which could help me from my ordeal. Recently, I saw this advertisement in our local drugstore about a drug for constipation. I asked the pharmacist and she gladly sold me a few packs. It was Psyllium (Metamucil Effervescent).

Psyllium (Metamucil Effervescent)

is a drug classified as a laxative. It works by absorbing water and expands to increase the bulk and moisture of the content of the stool, thus encouraging bowel movement. This drug is principally indicated for constipation and the management of bowel. Psyllium is available as granules, powder, wafers, and effervescent powder. The one I bought was the 3.7 g/packet effervescent sugar-free powder. It came in an orange box which has an orange flavour. Each weighs about 0.21 oz. each. Every single packets costs about $1.20 in my country. Buying the whole box will of course be cheaper than buying it per piece. I decided to try it out first, so ...

• i bought a few packets. I didn’t need a prescription to buy this in a local drugstore.

I opened a pack and noticed that the powder form was grainy. The smell was lemony and sweet. I tried tasting a pinch of the powder and it tasted like powdered orange juice. The instruction at the back of the pack was easy to understand and follow. The step-by-step process was clearly identified. I mixed the solution with water, since the powder already had a flavour to it. After stirring, some of the solution was solidifying, so I quickly drank it all. The taste was appealing, although not great. I could feel some of

the granules scraping my throat. The flavour was similar to a synthetic granulated juice that I could buy in a supermarket. I waited several hours for it to take effect and then finally after 12 hours, I could feel a cramping pain in my abdomen. I waited a little more and just when I couldn’t stop it, I rushed to the bathroom to move my bowels. Success finally! As soon as I evacuated all the stool, I was feeling more relaxed. I continued to use Psyllium (Metamucil Effervescent) for 4 days until I developed a dizzying side effect. I abruptly stopped this medication after that. I therefore give Psyllium (Metamucil Effervescent) an 8.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2617081236191131/k2311a0817/8.17.10