Methylcellulose (Citrucel) 2 gram sugar-free orange flavour powder  » Medicine  »
  • Due to the inactivity, I later on developed a problem regarding my bowel elimination
  • I bought the 2 gram sugar-free orange flavour

• by Penny

I had been confined to my bed for several months due to a crushed bone in my right leg. The orthopaedic doctors placed me on what is called as a balance skeletal traction to promote alignment, relieve pain and to decrease the inflammation. I was involved in a car accident that almost killed me. Fortunately, that was the only broken bone that I suffered from. Due to the inactivity, I later on developed a problem regarding my bowel elimination. This was because of the lack of movement and exercise needed by my body to make the intestines work properly. I told my doctors about this and was prescribed with Methylcellulose (Citrucel).

Methylcellulose

(Citrucel) is a bulk-forming laxative that absorbs water and expands to increase bulk and moisture content of the stools. This then leads to increased peristalsis and bowel movement. This drug is available as a powder form. I bought the 2 gram sugar-free orange flavour. It came in a plastic bottle with an orange cap. The brand name is clearly visible in front. I am aware that this brand comes in different flavours like chocolate and can also be prepared like a smoothie! I bought Citrucel for $10 in a pharmacy and didn’t require a prescription.

Since Methylcellulose (Citrucel) was in powder form, I had to mix it with 240 ml juice ...

• of my liking. The powder was granular and sandy. I pinched a little of the powder and tasted it. It was grainy and gritty. It smelled like fresh squeezed lime. It had a citrusy taste even though it was sugar-free. As I guzzled the juice with Citrucel, I could still feel the coarseness of the powder in my throat. I had to follow another glass of water to flush it down. The relief was not instant however. I had to patiently wait 12 hours before I felt the rumble in my abdomen. I tried to supress the feeling until I couldn’t bear it any longer. I asked a bed pan from
        my mom and sat on it. I couldn’t get off the bed since I was attached to this hideous traction. Getting up and walking to the bathroom was obviously impossible. Nevertheless, I expelled the wastes without having to exert too much force. After that, I was completely relieved. I exhaled a sigh of easiness. I continued to use this laxative every time I was feeling constipated. Every time I use this laxative, I would have this cramping pain in my abdomen the next day. Reading through the leaflet that came with the bottle, this was indicated as a minor side effect and that I shouldn’t be alarmed. I therefore give Methylcellulose (Citrucel) a 9.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2617081236171131/k2311a0817/8.17.10