Berryhill Creamy Peanut Butter  » Food  »
  • The difference in quality is, I think, somewhat noticeable, but the difference in quality isn't so significant that I feel the need to avoid this brand from this point on
  • The peanut butter has an appetizing aroma, but unfortunately, the peanut butter smells better than it tastes

• by CirclingCanvas

The only store that I’ve come across that carries this brand of peanut butter is ALDI. ALDI also carries a crunchy variety, but I highly prefer the smooth, creamy variety. Berryhill Creamy Peanut Butter isn’t quite as good as the peanut butter that’s sold at the large chain grocery stores, such as the Jif or Skippy, but it’s most certainly edible. It isn’t, however, quite as creamy and smooth in texture or as rich in peanut butter taste

as the peanut butter packaged and sold under the Jif and Skippy brands. The difference in quality is, I think, somewhat noticeable, but the difference in quality isn’t so significant that I feel the need to avoid this brand from this point on. When I can get Jif or Skippy on sale or with a coupon, I’ll purchase either brand. When I can’t, I’ll purchase this brand.

The creamy as well as the crunchy peanut butter come in a forty-ounce container. Forty-ounces is enough to hold me over for several months as I might have peanut butter once or twice a week, max. The peanut butter has an appetizing aroma, but unfortunately, the peanut butter smells better than it tastes. By that, I mean, the aroma makes one, or at least me, think that the peanut butter is going to be pretty rich in flavor, but once it comes to tasting the peanut butter, it comes across ...

• Berryhill Creamy Peanut Butter
      as being a bit bland and not quite as sweet as I’ve come to expect from other brands. It’s still pretty satisfying in terms of taste, it’s not wholly satisfying. The peanut butter still works its magic and transforms bread, crackers and more into eye-opening snacks, but the flavor and texture are both a bit off. The peanut butter doesn’t spread as easily as say the creamy Jif peanut butter or the creamy Skippy peanut butter, and it’s
      a little thicker it seems, but again, the differences are not so damaging that I feel as if I’m buying a poor product.

For two dollars and ninety cents, the peanut butter is slightly above satisfactory. It’s fairly taste and reasonably creamy, although compared with the name brand products, it’s a bit lacking. Still, the price and size of the container help to make up a little for this brand’s shortcomings. I feel comfortable awarding this peanut butter a “7″ rating.

linda marco says :

How can I tell the age of my Berryhill Peanut Butter? The date on the jar Says May 01. Does that mean May 2001 and is this jar too old. Will it cause food poisoning?

CirclingCanvas replies :

That does not sound right. The jar should have a complete expiration date. I wouldn`t consume a food product that doesn`t have a clear expiration date on it. If you just purchased the jar and still have the receipt, I think you should return it. If you`ve had it for awhile, it may be safer to just dump it in the trash. I wouldn`t take a chance. Only purchase food products that have full expiration dates on them, with the exception of certain items like milk, which naturally doesn`t require a specified year since milk expires after about three to four weeks.

ani says :

whenever you see something like this, if the month is upcoming in the year then assume that is the expiration date. if the month has just passed, assume it is the production date.

Genetta Easterwood says :

Where is Berryhill peanut butter made?

John says :

It’s made by Aldi’s which is located in Batavia, IL.

Angeka says :

Only Aldi carried this brand because it is Aldi`s brand (this is shown on the label). I see the BB (best by) date on the jar as MMMDDYY. It is clear to me what the date is. I do not think peanut butter goes bad, though. It is pretty stable. This brand is really good, and it has THE best reduced fat variety I have ever had of any brand. (Much better than the JIF reduced fat.) Unfortunately, my Aldi no longer carries the reduced fat variety. I guess it was not selling as well (everyone assumed it was as bad as the other brands?). I am not sure if other brands are `sweeter` but I don`t consider adding a lot of sugar a plus. No wonder people have the problems they do…

Jennifer Buencamino says :

the date written on tap of the jar is DEC 11 11- DOES THIS MEAN IT’S EXPIRATION OR MANUFACTURING DATE? MY AUNT SENT IT TO ME VIA PACKAGE AND RECENTLY RECEIVED IT LAST JULY 4, 2012. HOPE YOU COULD ANSWER MY QUERY THANK YOU.

ani says :

most likely that is the production date. i think they should be consumed within 3-6 months of opening.

CirclingCanvas replies :

Agreed, but I would contact ALDI for clarification, just to be absolutely safe.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2717081235861031/k2311a0817/8.17.10