ToyShoppe brand “Plubber” Dog Toys
  • Adding to the problem is the fact that he dislikes the taste of rubber, making Kong toys useless (we had bought the black extra-tough rubber Kong, and he rarely even touches it)
  • On our second lap down the toy aisle, I noticed some ToyShoppe brand toys that were about 7'' long and shaped like various animals
  • It definitely is not a chew-proof toy, but it is a good value for the low price and high quality it brings

• by blunderkind

My 1-year-old mixed breed dog has a tendency to chew through anything he can fit in his mouth. It is difficult finding a toy for him that will last longer than a day - even the extra-durable Nylabone chew toys get destroyed in a matter of minutes. Adding to the problem is the fact that he dislikes the taste of rubber, making Kong toys useless (we had bought the black extra-tough rubber Kong, and he rarely even touches it). And even the toughest bones cannot stand up to his relentless chewing, so chewable treats are gone in moments. Without toys to chew on, he inevitably finds some of our things to set his teeth to, and we end up with

chewed-up clothes whenever we leave him unsupervised for even a minute. Frustrated, we took him to Petsmart in hopes of finding something more durable.

We showed him several of the “extra tough” plush toys, but most were made of a hard nylon material that he did not seem interested in. He immediately liked the soft plush type toys, but these are far too easy for him to tear apart. On our second lap down the toy aisle, I noticed some ToyShoppe brand toys that were about 7′’ long and shaped like various animals. They were only $6.99 and the box advertised that they were made of a durable rubbery material that would stand up to tough chewing. It was called ...

• “Plubber,” hence the name of the toys, and it was covered with a thick layer of plush faux-fur for a soft feel. My dog immediately plucked the raccoon shaped toy from the shelf and carried it around while it was still tied to the cardboard display.

When we got the toy home, my dog was enthusiastic about how easy it is to squeak the toy - the base has a large, thick squeaker that any amount of chewing will trigger. The rubbery layer makes the toy bounce somewhat easily, and its barbell shape makes it bounce in random directions. The size is just right for my dog, who is about 18′’ tall at the shoulder and just under 40 pounds, though it

is too short for us to play a tug game with. He has yet to completely destroy the toy, although some of its features have been chewed off - the ears were the first to go, then he successfully chewed away the entire nose, which led to a lot of rubbery mess on my carpet. Otherwise, the toy is intact, and he still enjoys playing with it.

Overall, I give this dog toy an 8 out of 10 because it is a fun and durable toy, but it makes quite a mess when a dog does get into the rubbery layer. It definitely is not a chew-proof toy, but it is a good value for the low price and high quality it brings.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2917081234960931/k2311a0817/8.17.10