Bath and Body Works Cool Citrus and Basil Moisture-rich Body Lotion
  • I’m always looking for sensuality in scents but to be objective, I think my impression of the lotion is that it belongs to the fresh category, based on the top notes alone
  • I like the dry down better because the sweet feminine base doesn’t smell out of my comfort zone
  • If you’re accustomed to the floral sensuality of Bath and Body Work’s scented lotions, I don’t recommend this one

• by jhunie

Some of the body lotions I’ve tried come from Bath and Body works. I’m especially a fan of their scented lotions. The punchy floral cherry blossom line used to be my favorite, albeit too domestic or commonplace for my taste, now that almost everyone seems to be coveting it as well. Chances are, you’re likely to receive some of their products every now and then as gifts from friends. I for one got this Moisture-rich Body Lotion. Well I can’t blame why other people don’t improvise their gift ideas and give something besides scented lotions and such. Actually, it’s not so bad and I was first interested because of the lotion’s fragrance notes: Cool Citrus and Basil – it sounded like something gourmand and maybe tasteful for the body and olfactory senses.

When I sniffed the fragrance from the bottle, I was initially turned off.

It smells like men’s cologne - like the somewhat heavily pheromone-infused axe sprays which are totally provocative but in a bad way for me. I’m always looking for sensuality in scents but to be objective, I think my impression of the lotion is that it belongs to the fresh category, based on the top notes alone. I don’t get any gourmand ‘flavor’ out of the lotion’s fragrance. The freshness speaks of aquatic male scents, comparable to Aqua di Gio and the cool tones of Calvin Klein’s perfumes. I define the fragrance of this lotion, collectively as fruity with a tad of mint.

The dry down is sweet vanilla. I’m glad the fresh notes die eventually into something sugary. It reminds me of Victoria secret. At the same time, my nose is telling me it smells a lot like fragrant soap once the scent meddles ...

• with one’s body chemistry. The crisp fresh notes on top, which were utterly masculine, change into something alluring and sweet after a few minutes. I like the dry down better because the sweet feminine base doesn’t smell out of my comfort zone. I don’t know but I’m not getting any sparkling zesty citrus out of this lotion. But I can dissect the peppery basil out of its cologne vibe.

Aside from olfactory attributes, in terms of the lotion itself, it’s actually very rich indeed. I have nothing to detest that it’s labeled: moisture rich. The lotion doesn’t feel too viscous or wax-like and glides smoothly. It’s quite hydrating for the skin. The lotion seems to have more water content than other thicker lotions. I like that it covers skin in a silky smooth texture. I revert to using body butters, preferably gourmand

scented moisturizers though, because I hate the scent of this lotion on my body. Given its unisex scent, this will surely fare well with men too.

The sillage isn’t so remarkable but I often get traces of the lotion’s faint scent even after I’ve washed my hands several times. I assume this will make a good fixative for men if they want layering it with personal statement colognes to lengthen its wear on the body. I’m not interested to use it for my scent-layering habits. According to the bottle, it has vitamins E, C & aloe vera, mostly nourishing nutrients. I use it as a hand cream/moisturizer instead, after wearing gloves that leave a rubbery contemptible smell. I’m not certain of the price because it’s only given to me. If you’re accustomed to the floral sensuality of Bath and Body Work’s scented lotions, I don’t recommend this one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3117081234830931/k2311a0817/8.17.10