Acer Travelmate 290 laptop  » Laptops  »
  • This problem persists even if I installed the light-weight software
  • I did noticed that the hard drive LED always blinks for about 3 minutes after I entered Windows even though I had not execute any programme yet
  • I think it is not worth my money because I have to replace it

• by User

My father bought the laptop in 2003. It is lighter and cheaper as compared to other laptops. This laptop have Windows XP Home edition Service Pack 1 installed on its computer, 14.1’’ screen, with Pentium Centrino 1.3 GHz processor, and 256 SD RAM. This laptop does not have a webcam and it only has a DVD-ROM and CD-RW combo drive. The ventilation system is situated at the back side of the laptop. Therefore, the heat released by the ventilation system will not spread to the front so easily, making the palmrest area cooler. It has 1 USB port at the side and 2 USB ports at the back. This is quite troublesome to me because

if the side USB port is occupied, I have to resort to the back of the laptop for USB ports. My head have to bend over to the back of the laptop to ensure that the USB cable or my flash drive has been plugged in correctly.

The sound quality of the speakers is not so good. I can hear some “noise” from the speaker when I was enjoying music. The battery of the laptop can only be sustained for 1 hour of continuous usage. It does need recharging regularly. The laptop become less responsive over a few months after I formatted its hard drive even I installed only a minimum number of software in its ...

• hard drive. This problem persists even if I installed the light-weight software. In 2007, I checked the status of my hard drive using the software “Hard drive inspector” and the result stated that hard drive was on the verge of collapsing. I did noticed that the hard drive LED always blinks for about 3 minutes after I entered Windows even though I had not execute any programme yet.

The laptop bag can be easily invaded by fungus. By chance, I leave my laptop in the bag for one week and at the end of the week, the inside of the bag is filled with white fungus, even the screen and the cover of the laptop were

covered with the fungus! The metal cover of the ventilation system of the laptop began to rust! Some of the keys on the keyboard are now detached from the keyboard. The graphics is not good too. The CD/DVD drive bay, after a few years of usage, seemed not to be able to read certain DVDs. It took me a long time to wait for a pop-up window to ask you to execute the files on DVD.

In conclusion, I am not satisfied with this laptop because it became problematic after few years of usage. I think it is not worth my money because I have to replace it. The screen and the USB ports are now malfunctioning.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 6317081234380831/k2311a0817/8.17.10