Regal Riverside Hotel in Hongkong  » Hotels  »
36 Tai Chung Kiu Road, Shatin, Hong Kong
  • As part of a big hotel chain, I was expecting a 3 or 4-star hotel experience
  • I think hotels should be required to have at least one English-speaking front desk officer present at all times
  • I was glad to see that there were four elevators in each floor, two on each wing, so this was a convenient amenity as we didn't have to squeeze in with too many people
  • I thoroughly enjoyed the free-flowing coffee too, so my family and I were always satisfied with breakfast
  • But if you’re fine with a low-rate, decent rooms with good restaurants, consider Regal Riverside Hotel a good hotel accomodation in Hongkong

• by ablosh

I stayed at Regal Riverside hotel with my family for a 4-day vacation. As part of a big hotel chain, I was expecting a 3 or 4-star hotel experience. However, as one inevitably finds out in a foreign land, service cannot be given well, if the waiter or the porter or even the front desk manager doesn’t speak your language.

I think hotels should be required to have at least one English-speaking front desk officer present at all times. It saves hotel guests a lot of time and effort in trying to gesture what he or she is looking for or needs.

When I encountered some trouble and needed to go to my travel agency’s headquarters to sort my schedule, none of the receptionists understood what I was trying to get at. The front desk manager tried his best though, but in the end, I had to resort to asking other English-speaking hotel guests for information.

The hotel itself was quite nice, as it was newly-renovated. Our hotel room was clean, standard-sized with the usual complimentary water bottles and toiletries like shampoo, conditioner, lotion. I was glad to see that there were four elevators in each floor, two on each wing, so this was ...

• a convenient amenity as we didn’t have to squeeze in with too many people. Just a reminder, if the front desk people don’t understand English, the housekeepers, waiters and porters are even more challenging to communicate with.

The breakfast buffet included was also a delight. I liked the wide variety of breads, cold cuts, fruits, juices, milk, cereals and made-to-order waffles. I thoroughly enjoyed the free-flowing coffee too, so my family and I were always satisfied with breakfast. The dishes did not change though, so even though we enjoyed the buffet, after the fourth time we ate there, we were happy that

we were going home.

My biggest complaint or regret was that the hotel was quite far from the main shopping district in Hong Kong. It takes you about 20 minutes to get to the Tsim Sha Tsui from Shatin via taxi, and about 30 minutes via bus. I wasn’t aware of this when I booked our trip, but I would suggest getting a hotel that is closer to save your time if, like us, your main objective in Hongkong is shopping. But if you’re fine with a low-rate, decent rooms with good restaurants, consider Regal Riverside Hotel a good hotel accomodation in Hongkong.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 216081234090931/k2311a0816/8.16.10