Old Mother Hubbard cartoon
2.5
  • Actually, I love the way the animation was done during this segment
  • However, from this point out to the end, I wasn't impressed much at all

• by Orrymain

Recently I watched a vintage Old Mother Hubbard cartoon. This was a U.B. Iwerks product, which means it was done by a respected animator of the era. I actually remember as a young child watching Old Mother Hubbard cartoons on weekends. They were cute.

This golden era Old Mother Hubbard tale started out in a tone and style that was familiar to me. We see the woman trying to

get through the day, hanging out the laundry for the day. Her dog wants a bone and points to the cupboard, but it is completely bare, except for broken shelves and a big, yucky spider.

From there, the story leaves the home of Old Mother Hubbard and follows the dog as he takes the laundry out. Apparently, that’s his responsibility. There’s some funny bits as he tries to hitchhike.

• Actually, I love the way the animation was done during this segment. Instead of showing us the various carriages that were going by, all we say were shadows at the bottom of the screen. It was very different.

In actuality, that added to the mystery, too, because when the dog gets his ride, it’s really not one that he wants. However, that does lead to another funny moment in the

cartoon. It’s one when we see how smart this dog is. I love all of that.

However, from this point out to the end, I wasn’t impressed much at all. I really didn’t laugh at anything else, and I honestly began to be bored by it. The last third just didn’t hold my interest. The cartoon lost its charm.

So, it was good for a while, but not all the way through.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1015081233061231/k2311a0815/8.15.10