Arc Rise Fantasia RPG for the Nintendo Wii
  • I've been playing video games since the late 1980s, but the RPG genre never was one that I paid hardly any attention to
  • I found the ability to combine magic attacks in battle between characters as well as amplify a particular magic element depending on the type of elemental raystone or raystones present on the battlefield to be clever touches
  • This can be both an advantage and disadvantage in battle because enemies and bosses can use the raystones to their advantage, too
  • It can be overwhelming at first and even kind of confusing, I know, because that's how I felt for a bit, but once I developed a grasp on just how much there was to customize and unlock and I understood what all the stats meant and how it all impacted battles, I really began to appreciate the depth and complexity of the game
  • Even if RPGs aren't the type of games you generally go for, I suggest at least giving this game a rent

• by CirclingCanvas

Arc Rise Fantasia is a turn-based RPG for the Nintendo Wii. For those that may not know, a turn-based RPG is a type of game where the player must assign “actions” to each individual character in his or her party, and once the player is done assigning “actions” and confirms that he or she is done, the player then sits back and watches his or her decisions play out. Once every character in the player’s party has finished the action that he or she was assigned and the enemy has finished its or their actions, the process is then done over again, assuming the player’s party wasn’t knocked out or the enemy or enemies wasn’t or weren’t defeated. A turn-based RPG such as Arc Rise Fantasia requires strategy and planning as a result of this setup. A player needs to monitor each character’s HP, or health points, as well as each character’s SP, or Spirit Points, as once a character’s HP hits zero, the character is knocked out and can’t participate in the fight any longer unless revived using an item. SP drops as special Excel Attacks are preformed, which generally do more damage to an opponent or opponents than regular attacks, but once the SP bar for a character is depleted or below the necessary percentage to pull off an Excel Attack, which varies depending on the strength of the attack, no more Excel Attacks can be performed for a bit. That’s just the basics, though, of what makes up a rather intricate yet still intuitive turn-based battle system.

It took me some time to get used to the turn-based battle system in Arc Rise Fantasia, mainly in part because I’m not one that plays very many RPGs. I’ve been playing video games since the late 1980s, but the RPG genre never was one that I paid hardly any attention to. I’m quite pleased though with what Arc Rise Fantasia has to offer in the turn-based battle system department. It’s a battle system that gives me many options. I can directly attack an opponent, physically, and ultimately perform chain attacks

against that opponent, upping the damage significantly. I can attack my opponent or opponents with an extra strong Excel Attack or use some Excel Attacks on a character or character in my party to boost one or more stats, only unlike the more basic attack, I must ration my Excel Attacks because each time I use an Excel Attack, my character’s SP drops, and I may find later in a battle, a particular Excel Attack would be helpful, only to see that my SP bar is depleted, so planning and rationing is a must, and that is the kind of strategy I find appealing. I can also combine three Excel Attacks to perform a devastating Trinity Act attack, which is quite visually stunning and can be a game changer in a tough battle, but again, I have to carefully watch my characters’ SP bars and plan ahead in the battle. The magic attacks, another attractive aspect of the turn-based battle system, can become stronger and more plentiful through the collection of shards gained by exploring towns, cities and the world map as well as talking to characters and then, by visiting a workshop and performing shard repairs and purchasing magic upgrades. Here again is where the element of strategy comes in: every act in the workshop cost a certain number of points and every character only has a certain number of points, which can’t be increased, so I have to carefully choose just how often I upgrade a character’s magic abilities, because if increase a character’s magic capabilities too heavily and early at level one or level two magic, come level three or four magic, which are stronger, I may have no points left. Of course, there’s an expensive option to undo it all and start building a character’s magic up from scratch, which is nice.

I found the ability to combine magic attacks in battle between characters as well as amplify a particular magic element depending on the type of elemental raystone or raystones present on the battlefield to be clever touches. For example, if there’s a fire raystone on

the battlefield, the characters in my party capable of performing fire-based magic will see an increase in attack power when fire-based magic is used. If there’s two fire raystones, the attack power increases even more. This can be both an advantage and disadvantage in battle because enemies and bosses can use the raystones to their advantage, too! Again, strategy plays a role: I have to make decision to either destroy the raystones and take away the boss’ or enemies’ ability to make use of them while at the same time depriving myself of being able to amplify my magic attacks or leave the raystones and pit my strongest, amplified magic up against the boss or enemies I’m facing. Battles can get pretty intense as a result. Also during battle, I can move my characters to different spots on the battlefield, thus preventing multiple characters from getting hit by a singular attack, which I feel only adds additional depth to the battle system, and I can also have my characters defend and thus minimize damage taken when I see a super strong attack is coming. There’s also a huge variety of items that I can use in battle, ranging from healing items to stat curing items to magic replenishing items and many more. It’s so important to come prepared to boss battles in this game because otherwise, you’ll be at a real disadvantage. There’s also basically this incredibly powerful attack that can be performed once during a battle, and it should be used wisely!

Another aspect of the game that I found addicting was all the different weapons, armor and special accessories that I could equip my characters with. Every weapon that I purchase can be leveled up and as I level it up, new abilities are unlocked and I can sometimes transfer these abilities to other weapons, like HP Increase, Speed Boost, Magic Boost, Resistance Drop against opponents, and so on. There’s so many weapons to find and abilities to unlock that affect how battles play out! Armor and special accessories impact a character’s defense, speed, resistance to magic and spells ...

• Arc Rise Fantasia RPG for the Nintendo Wii
      and much more, and again, strategy plays a role because it’s important to equip your party with the right weapons, armor and accessories in order to survive some boss fights. Boss fights won’t be won by simply attacking straight through and ignoring what’s sold in shops and found through exploration. It can be overwhelming at first and even kind of confusing, I know, because that’s how I felt for a bit, but once I developed a grasp on just how much there was to customize and unlock and I understood what all the stats meant and how it all impacted battles, I really began to appreciate the depth and complexity of the game. The learning curve is a little high and the difficulty curve can be intimidating, but once you know what you’re doing, excitement quickly surfaces when playing the game. I usually don’t read the instruction manuals that come with video games, but for Arc Rise Fantasia, I found it necessary. For those that play RPGs on a regular basis, that may not be necessary, but for me, it definitely was.

There’s more to the game than just the battle system, although that’s personally where I feel Arc Rise Fantasia really stands out. There’s a world map full of monsters to fight to gain experience, weapons points, items and money, and I liked how approaching a monster from the front, back or with my character’s back to the monster resulted in me either entering the battle at an advantage or disadvantage. The world map leads to areas that a lot of times consist of multiple paths, boss battles and significant story events but the world map also leads to towns and cities full of people to meet and get items from, shops, inns, guilds where side quests can be completed and much more. There’s even a casino and battle arena in one city. Sometimes, it can get a bit monotonous and boring exploring the really huge cities, but exploration is good because it can lead to discovering hidden items or receiving items from people. Generally, the visuals are pretty impressive

when it comes to buildings, and some visual shots are truly gorgeous, such as the bridge leading to Diamant, which is in the background, although the character models are more plain. The cities, the battle animations and the backgrounds all stand out visually, but the character models are simpler, although not ugly by any means. The soundtrack continues to have an emotional impact on me as it’s profoundly intense when it needs to be like during a boss battlw as well as emotionally depressingly when required, such as when visiting an attacked and occupied town. Yet the soundtrack also offers upbeat tracks as well as those that I would consider quite grandiose. The soundtrack stands out, more so than the voices, which can sometimes lack emotion or come across as stiff.

Arc Rise Fantasia is a very lengthy game that involves a long journey that will deliver plot twists and multifaceted characters. For those that take their time to see and do everything the game has to offer, game time will likely exceed fifty hours. It’s possible to beat the game sooner, but doing so will result in missing out on a lot of the charming character interactions, items and optional quests and boss battles. Take the time to revisit previous towns and cities and areas after a major event and see how things have changed and find items and challenges that weren’t present before. Arc Rise Fantasia has quite a lot to offer and is well worth a purchase. Even if RPGs aren’t the type of games you generally go for, I suggest at least giving this game a rent. As I said earlier, this is only my second RPG, and boy did I ever enjoy it! A personable, entertaining and diverse cast of characters, a fun and intricate battle system, a massive explorable world with many hidden items, real dangers and unique towns and cities, and much more, all awaits you. Arc Rise Fantasia is a video game that deserves a solid “10″ rating in my eyes. The few flaws and less than perfect aspects of the game aren’t sufficient to reduce it to a “9″ rating.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2815081232621131/k2311a0815/8.15.10