Fluticasone propionate and Salmeterol (Advair Diskus 250/50) inhalation powder  » Medicine  »
  • I bought mine for $75 in our local drugstore
  • I did experience however some sleeping difficulties in the passing days
  • Also I noticed that my heart rate was a bit elevated compared to the normal beats per minute that I had

• by Carlisle

I came from a family who has a history of chronic asthma. I guess they passed it to me too. I’ve been struggling with asthma since I was a child. My parents wouldn’t allow me to play with the other kids in fear of having an asthma attack. I later became isolated and left out from my friends because of my asthma. I just couldn’t keep up with them. I had to carry with me an inhaler wherever I go and make sure that I had an extra just in case I lose it. My doctor has advised me to use Fluticasone propionate for some time now but recently decided to shift me to a new drug which is Fluticasone propionate and Salmeterol (Advair Diskus 250/50).

Fluticasone propionate and Salmeterol (Advair Diskus 250/50) is a

combination drug. Fluticasone propionate is a synthetic steroid which decreases inflammation while Salmeterol is a drug that relaxes the bronchial muscles for easy breathing. This is usually given for the long-term maintenance of asthma and therapy for airflow obstruction in patients with chronic bronchitis and COPD. I was prescribed with the 250 mcg Fluticasone and 50 mcg Salmeterol. The box is white with the brand name of the drug in violet colour. The dosage is hugely indicated on the bottom of the box. Inside is the saucer shaped inhaler with the foil strip which goes into the diskus and the drug leaflet. I bought mine for $75 in our local drugstore. Other brands are sold for $82. The diskus that I had was violet in colour and it had a mouthpiece to one side ...

• and a small rigid bar close to it that is used to turn the diskus inside to deliver the metered dose.

I was now aware on how to use this device since 2 of the other inhalers that my doctor prescribed me before were like this. But in case someone is not familiar on how to use it, the drug pamphlet can accurately instruct the user on how to properly and safely operate the inhaler. The pamphlet completely indicated all the side effects that one could possibly encounter using this inhaler. It was easy to understand and to read as well. With the combined drug, the relief from this inhaler is both fast and impressive. I have experienced optimal relief in just 5 minutes! It’s unlike any inhaler I’ve tried before. The duration of

my relief lasted for almost 6 hours. I did experience however some sleeping difficulties in the passing days. But I was able to adjust to the drug a week after. Also I noticed that my heart rate was a bit elevated compared to the normal beats per minute that I had. There was a bitter taste as soon as I inhaled the drug. Getting rid of the after taste was not easy, water offered little help and only time made it go away. There was also a slight nauseous feeling that I encountered but like the sleep disturbance that I had, it quickly faded away during the subsequent days. By the way, I needed a prescription before I could purchase one from the pharmacy. I give Fluticasone propionate and Salmeterol (Advair Diskus 250/50) a 9.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2615081232191031/k2311a0815/8.15.10