Martins Grocery Store, Rising Sun, MD 21911  » Shopping  »
40 Rising Sun Towne Center, Rising Sun, MD 21911
  • Once I had those aisles memorized, I began to enjoy the shopping experience of the newer more updated version of a grocery store
  • There can often also be a problem with cashier being a bit slow in the process of ringing up orders
  • I found that looking for certain items can be somewhat of a scavenger hunt

• by Dawn Hawkins

Martin’s grocery store in Rising Sun, MD recently expanded their store. The store is huge to say the least. It was a bit overwhelming the first time I walked onto the new and improved Martin’s store. I didn’t know where to start and it took several visits to establish where to find the most important items to me quickly and efficiently. Once I had those aisles memorized, I began to enjoy the shopping experience of the newer more updated version of a grocery store.

One of the problems that I see with Martin’s grocery store is that there never appear to be enough cashiers on duty. There are enough registers, just not enough employees to run them at any one give time. This leads to very long lines during what is normally a peak busy period and should be covered well. Having

to wait in long lines when there should be enough employees working is unacceptable to me. There can often also be a problem with cashier being a bit slow in the process of ringing up orders. This may be because they sometimes stand and talk to the person bagging the groceries or just because they don’t care to move any faster. It shouldn’t take more than a full second to ring up one normal item. There are exceptions, for instance, when the UPC code is smeared or missing, but for the most part, it shouldn’t take 15 seconds to ring up 1 single item, which at this Martins store, it often does. In other words, cashier standards don’t appear to be very high where customer service is concerned and could be driving away business. For instance, the only reason that I ...

• continue to shop there is because there isn’t another grocery store close by.

The new Martin’s grocery store in Rising Sun is neat and clean. They also have a cybercafé type area where you can connect to the internet. I have rarely seen anyone in the cybercafé and have never used it myself. The good thing about it is that if I have the need at some point in the future to get on the internet, even in the middle of the night and for some reason can’t do so from home, I will be able to go to Martin’s with my laptop and get online. Since the library isn’t nearly as comfortable as Martins and since you can actually eat in Martins, it can be much more appealing than other options. I would use this café if the need every arose.

I

found that looking for certain items can be somewhat of a scavenger hunt. If you shopped in the old Martin’s store, you would know where to look for certain things without thinking about it. Much of that changed when the store expanded which means I can’t find a blooming thing when I go shopping without going down each and every aisle in the store. That is not a trip that I look forward to since the Martin’s store seems to be just as big as a Super Walmart Store. Sometimes, the convenience of a smaller grocery store is much nicer. Too many store have taken out the most important element in their business. That is good customer care and the ability to make customers feel at home when they enter the store. I miss the somewhat smaller yet cozy atmosphere of the old Martin’s store.

Reese says :

I understand your concerns with the lines. I used to work at a Martin’s, and I can tell you that the powers that be are not concerned with how many cashiers they have staffed the bottom line is making money. The cashier standards are almost nonexistent they just look for young kids whom they can pay minimum wage. Also, at my store people cashiers would always call out and it was very hard to find anyone who would come in and fill the shift. It’s just an embarrassment and a poorly run organization.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2412081229810731/k2311a0812/8.12.10