McLeod’s Books (used bookstore)
455 Pender Street W Vancouver, BC, V6B 1V2
  • I like reading, and I like books, but there was just so much of it
  • I noticed that the shelves were not just randomly stuffed with books, they were actually categorized quite clearly
  • Once I got over the paranoia (probably from watching too many movies and reading too few books), McLeod's became super interesting

• by Stephanie Angeles

I pass McLeod’s Books everyday on my way to work. The “SALE” sign never goes out of season, but price-wise, this cannot be considered false advertising.

The moment you enter McLeod’s, all you see is books. Left, right, up down. Books. I felt overwhelmed by the sheer volume of books that lined the walls and floor and shelves. I like reading, and I like books, but there was just so much of it! The ground level is somewhat organized, it has more of the recently released selection of books. After looking around a while on the ground level, I felt I should check out the basement before we keep browsing (My friend and I had visited McLeod’s without a specific book in mind).

The stairwell going to the basement is lined with books. And when you get to the basement, you are greeted by a giant mountain of books, roped off with a sign “staff only”. This was the unsorted pile.

Again, like the ground level, all you see are books. The basement is dimly lit, even more tightly packed, and the walkways are narrow. The entire time I was there, scenes from horror movies just kept flashing through my mind (someone’s going to jump out of the pile of books! I’m going to find a finger buried in one of the stacks! The mountain of books will fall on me and I will never be found!). I did not stay down there very long.

McLeod’s was dusty, overstuffed, and messy, but it was kind of cool. While browsing, my friend thought of a book that he had been meaning to pick up from Chapters. We walked up to one of the staff, and he knew exactly where to find it. He walked us to the modern books section, stopped halfway, bent over, and plucked it right out of the shelf as if it was a giant pink elephant. Then he told us ...

• that there is a wider selection of historical books on the subject in the “South America” Section. I was very amazed. It says a lot about their staff — they are clearly passionate about books, and about McLeod’s.

A second trip to the basement gave me a better appreciation of it. I noticed that the shelves were not just randomly stuffed with books, they were actually categorized quite clearly. There is an abundance of history books there, (so a recommendation to History students — spend an afternoon at McLeod’s if you need books for research!) broken down into sections like era, geographical location/country, and battles/wars.

After a couple of hours in the basement, and not to mention startling myself a few handful of times, my allergies started to act up. The piles and piles of books no longer bothered me, and it was nice and cool in the basement, even on a summer day. The books we purchased were great. You pay so much

less for a used book compared to a new book, and really, you are getting the exact same content. Other books at McLeod’s are so old, you would probably never be able to find them at any of the new book stores.

Once I got over the paranoia (probably from watching too many movies and reading too few books), McLeod’s became super interesting. It was like a goldmine, filled with so many books ranging from battleships to beeswax. The staff are like your compass. They will give you direction on where to go to find what you need, occassionally, they will pluck it right off the shelf, but for the most part, you have to do the digging yourself.

McLeod’s is an excellent place to go to shop for books. It needs a bit of organizing, but the messiness also adds to its character. Good luck to all of you book-lovers out there, hope you find what you are looking for!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2411081228970431/k2311a0811/8.11.10