Taco Bell Cantina Tacos - Shredded Chicken  » Food  »
1.0
  • But unfortunately, the flavor of this taco was just as terrible as the smell
  • Still, I would never recommend the chicken Cantina taco to anybody, no matter what

• by blunderkind

The new Cantina tacos at Taco Bell are just over $2 each, but do come in a combination meal for $6 including a drink. With the heavy advertising centered on the double-thick soft corn tortilla shells, fresh cilantro, lime, and deliciously seasoned meats, I felt compelled to at least give these new items a try. The choices for meat filling are chicken, carnitas, and steak. I opted to try one of each with the combination meal.

The chicken and carnitas are hard to tell apart. They are both gray meats that are finely minced and covered

in a gelatinous substance that looks like bad, fatty gravy. The chicken taco was covered in cilantro, but thankfully just a few onions, and this was the one with the most filling in it. Like the other two tacos I ordered, this one had a fairly old-looking lime wedge stuck between layers of foil that the taco came wrapped in.

When I opened the foil, I was hit with a smell that I recognized immediately. As a cat owner, it is a smell I encounter daily - cat food. My appetite quickly left me at the ...

• sour canned meat smell, but I eventually convinced myself to at least try this thing. On occasion, food tastes better than it smells, and hopefully this would be one of those cases - and it would taste better than it looked, too, if I was lucky. But unfortunately, the flavor of this taco was just as terrible as the smell. After gnawing through an inch or so of plain, chewy tortilla, I made it to the meat and found it every bit as sour and fatty as it smelled and looked. Although I had been
        very hungry, I could not have another single bite of that taco, and I felt compelled to drink an entire cup of soda just to wash the flavor out of my mouth.

I have to give Taco Bell some credit for trying something new and very different, and they did not skimp on filling or toppings for this particular taco. Still, I would never recommend the chicken Cantina taco to anybody, no matter what. This is one item I hope does not remain on the menu and gets replaced by a better item sometime in the very near future.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2710081228651231/k2311a0810/8.10.10