MyTouch 3G Charger Dock for MyTouch 3G Phones, by T-Mobile  » Electronics  »
  • I got to test it out the very day I bought it

• by blunderkind

As a happy owner of the MyTouch 3G, I was eager to invest in a docking station to prop up my phone so that I could use it as a clock and more easily see when it was done charging from my bed. The Droid phone has a similar device that comes programmed to display the time and weather while it is on the dock, and I assumed that for nearly $30 mine would be similar. The charger dock for the MyTouch 3G is small, about half the size of a deck of cards, and connects to

the usual charging cable with the wall adapter on the other end.

I got to test it out the very day I bought it. The cable was easy to plug in, and the dock did as it should and stood up nicely. It was balanced well enough to easily hold my hefty phone without toppling over. However, I was having trouble getting the phone to fit on the dock like it should. Soon, I realized that the thin rubbery shell I have on my phone for protection was keeping it from docking. I had to ...

• pull the shell off to fit it on the dock. Then it is a matter of lining up the plug on the dock to the socket on the phone to charge it.

To my disappointment, once I started charging my phone, I realized it was just a charger. Still, it propped my phone up in a way where I could set my phone to display the time and constantly run so that I could use it as an alarm clock while it was charging. On a basic level, it was able to do what I

had originally wanted, just not as easily and not as well. I could install a weather application off of the Android Market to make it display the weather too, but I haven’t bothered yet.

My only big concern with the dock itself is that it cannot hold my phone when it is in its sleeve. Despite that, the dock works well and has made it easier to use my phone during travel, both as an actual phone and as a clock. But for $30 I would have hoped for at least some functions by the dock itself.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1610081228621231/k2311a0810/8.10.10